Thread: Mac OS Big Sur
View Single Post
Old 09.12.2020, 04:24 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
Moving to windows is definitely not an option and selling the virus would leave a big hole in my rack so going to keep hold of it. TBH I don't really use it that often anymore as I'm pretty much software instruments all the way these days. In fact it's the only hardware synth I own now. Software is sooo much cheaper, reliable and updated regularly. Who needs the headache's that come with hardware when the software sounds just as good nowadays anyhoo.
Every time a new shiny hardware synth comes on the market that takes my eye. I only have to look at the virus to remind me of how much of a waste of time and money they are.
For a long time I believed the same thing, because I purged my life of hardware for many years. My lifestyle had me moving often, so maintaining a studio with outboard gear made no sense. Eventually I tried to add a TI2 desktop and the USB frustrations had me send it back. Many years later bought a used Snow, and at the price point was willing to live with some tradeoffs such as using VC and USB for the non-audio functions. And even then I had the same conclusion that you did, that software had gotten good enough that the Virus was barely worth messing with.

But then I started buying Sequential synths.. they sound so much better than software or the Virus. I barely use soft synths at all now because I can't stand the sound of them next to the real thing. Software and even virtual analog sounds dull, lifeless, etc.

Point is, don't judge the state of hardware synths based on the Virus, because it does not represent what's available anymore.