View Single Post
Old 29.12.2012, 04:17 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
It seems that if you want to use VC you have to buy a PC & use Cubase
anything else is a 50/50 chance of working properly.
The "works fine on Cubase" theme is one I've seen many times over. I guess it makes some sense considering Steinberg's impact on electronic music related software (i.e. plug-ins will get most rigoriously tested on the DAW that defines the standard).

I consider myself primarily a PC guy, even though I have a Mac and there are some things I like about it for music making. Since I develop software on the Apple platform, I get a first-hand look at Apple's arrogance with regard to making major, unannounced, backward-compatibility-breaking changes, and when I think of the investment of time I put into something like a DAW, that scares the hell out of me with regard to Logic Pro. It's not far fetched to imagine Apple simply discontinuing the product sometime soon. Look at what they did with Final Cut. On top of that, their success is so heavily dependent on iOS that I sometimes wonder about the future of OS X itself. Then there is the cost and upgradability of Mac hardware vs custom PC options, again pushing me away from Apple here. Because of the Logic Pro issue, I think I want my next DAW to be something that will work on either platform (limiting options to Ableton, Cubase etc).

A friend of mine once said that if I'm concerned about the time investment in the DAW, just go with Cubase for peace of mind and the future. Maybe its time I heed his advice.