View Single Post
Old 28.07.2014, 07:06 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
What is this NERD FEST? Couldn't make it to Comic-con? Make some music you sad git's
@MBTC this actually made me laugh!

On another note, you're right about most plug-ins not profiting much from new instructions on the CPUs, but that's not as linear as you say: for instance, Diva has multi-thread support now, but that doesn't mean that any CPU can handle it. Same thing for most host software (daw), they can increase their performance if some instructions are found, but will perform as good as it can without them.

I do agree, however, that we're not seeing major increases in performance for quite a while now. I feel a good way to get better performance (and less money XD) is to get something like UAD dsp cards and plug-ins. One can manage insanely huge track counts that way without much stress to the system. That and hardware synths (expert sleepers can deliver sample accurate timing for analogue synths), the Virus ti (working properly) also helps a lot to dispense with cpu-heavy plug-ins (isn't that why it costs so much?). All of this and an SSD disk can boost performance much more then with a CPU+motherboard/chip change I think.