Thread: A6 trance demo
View Single Post
Old 12.06.2006, 05:15 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Phillips
Ok, I found some info from Rob Papen in response to some Albino question.

In short, the A6 does transit data but it is not a simple CC (like 128 values) but instead a LSB/MSB pair (for 16-bit values) and some third value. This would make sense for something like a filter cutoff, a 128 value stepping would suck for a filter.

Had you tried to record any knob movements before? I'm not sure of the steps but some sequencer may have to be configured some way to record different types of controller data (like these triple value settings.)
I haven't tried to record any knob movements yet. I will try soon. I haven't read the A6 manual almost at all. It still is a very complex synth and I guess I don't know even the first half of the synth yet, just some basic things. I haven't touched the third envelope, envelope looping (and many other things), arpeggiator, sequencer etc. yet.

Good thing about the A6 is that altough it has only some basic oscillator waveforms, you can mix them all and get many different kind of waves. With modulations, oscillator hard sync, ring modulation etc. you get even more different kind of sounds. If you have a good waveform coming from oscillators, you can build many different kind of sounds just by using different amp- and filter envelope settings. I also like the noise generator alot.

I don't remember exactly how I did some of the sounds. There are so many parameters involved. Imo one good idea is to listen to your favourite trance tracks and tweak the synth at the same time and program the same sounds. Then with just some little tweaks you can get your own personal sounds too. When I'm listening to etn.fm for example and hear a good sound, it usually takes about 5-30 minutes to replicate it. Sometimes I record a short clip of the playing song that I can compare the sounds later when the song isn't playing anymore.