View Single Post
Old 04.12.2004, 04:32 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via ICQ to Wandering Kid

i guess you just...you know...make shit up. over at tranceaddict.com there was this guy who just popped into the production forum a few weeks back. wanted feedback on a tune he wrote. all the comments were bad. REALLY bad. so i got curious. the song doesnt really have any coherant structure. alot of drone instruments. sounded like it was written completely autonymously. it was essentially gamelin music although the person who wrote it had no knowledge of gamelin and wrote it quite accidentally on his own admission. i think it was just me and 1 other guy that kept telling him 'dont touch a phucking thing! try and refine that kind of sound.' it was definitely very rough around the edges. but it was heading in a direction that not many people try and push forward in. all those tranceheads were saying 'you gotta give it a phat beat like this...and have some hihats like this...have a rolling bassline like this...' the list of corrections can basically be summed up like this:

K---K---K---K---
--O---O---O---O-
-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h

--B---B---B---B-
bb--bb--bb--bb-

that was a real smack yourself on the forehead moment. at least for me and that one other dude. that guy is probably producing horrendous, generic TARNCE!!!11 right now. that in itself though, isnt a complete waste of time. its just another way of writing music and evoke a certain feeling in doing so. whats a shame is that hes been persuaded that theres a right and wrong way to write music and that to write good music you gotta have 4 beats per measure and all instruments have to start with the same key note. GAH.