View Single Post
Old 18.04.2016, 11:23 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilgus View Post
Maybe not the best start with Novation - the first Mininova had a dud screen backlight, so I had to return it for a replacement. Just unpacked the new one and it seems ok, except that it seems to forget the "Sort By Numbers" toggle-switch setting, if you switch between Genres or Patch Types. I don't think the previous one did that.

But yeh, I love the vocoder and vocal-tune will be fun. Been listening to a lot of Devo, this week, might even do a few covers for fun! I had forgotten how much vocoder and vocal effects they sneak into songs, just as a subtle extra.

EG
I've been lucky with the hardware I guess, but admittedly often times I'm controlling my Ultranova from my primary MIDI controller. I keep the UN as a secondary (left hand) controller, for times I want to play two completely different instruments simultaneously. Then of course real time modulation fun via the touch knobs -- I think the Mini has buttons that do the same thing as the knobs if I recall. I never use the vocoder, I haven't even pugged in the mic in ages.
But yeah where these synths do let down a little bit is in the hardware build quality. Not exactly in same league as Virus in that regard. But a lot of synth for the money, and for some things I actually like the light feel of the UN keys.