View Single Post
Old 09.10.2005, 03:36 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midi_Glider
Its does not effect (pardon the pun! ) polyphony. use as many as you want...

Best,
midi.
the reverb does affect the voice count. but actually saying how many voices would have to be sacrified for one reverb is not that simple since the polyphony also depends on the patch itself.

in general you could say that reverbs are "expensive" - certainly more expensive than a 3rd oscillator or for instance the moog filter. but then, if the patch is really "slim" adding a reverb will probabably hurt so much.

i tend to use hardly any reverb. the main reason is that reverbs do tend to blur the overall sound when overused. when i do a song, i normally switch off the reverbs first and then add one, where i feel that i want to move the sound into the background.

a couple of years back, when synthesizers had no build in effects, reverbs were added to blend the sound into the mix and create the impression of a 3 dimensional space. today, many sounds come with reverb although they don't need one, at least when they are being used with other sounds in an arrangement.

listen for instance to the build in demo song (available on http://www.access-music.de). there is hardly any reverb in it because the style of music doesn't need much reverb. the reverb is only present on the layer sounds which i want to move away from the solo instruments.

hope that helps a bit

marc