View Single Post
Old 08.04.2010, 08:09 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutrinoland View Post
Hi guys...
i need some advice...
I've been saving up some money for a new synth...
I already got a Virus Snow.
I was thinking about getting a Mopho....
But I am confused whether i should get a Mopho or a Blofeld...
I already have an awesome VA synth - the snow, so i was thinking about getting an analog synth - the Mopho, for bass mostly...
is it silly to want a blofeld when i already have a snow ????
should i just go for the Mopho now without thinking about this anymore ???
what would you do ??

thanks
Not all analog or VA synths are created equal. They do sound very different and they have different capabilities. Having more than one is definitely not redundant.

Mopho has limited applications, it's a mono synth. Basically an analog bass/lead synthesizer. If that's what you need, go for it.

Blofeld is more like a traditional analog polysynth. IMHO it's a bit overpriced for what you get (for the same money, you can get a used Novation Supernova or Korg RADIAS, which are much more capable synths.) It would be great if it had something like the Virus total integration, but unfortunately it doesn't have that.

Especially in consideration of their rock bottom prices, I would take a good look at the Alesis Micron or the Microkorg XL (or even the slightly better specced and better built R3.) Actually you can probably get both (Micron and Microkorg XL/R3) used on eBay for the price of a new Blofeld. If you like the Waldorf sound, you might also consider a used Micro Q (I don't think they make it anymore), which will cost you less than half the price of a new Blofeld for a very similar sound texture.

PS: the new Microkorg XL and the old Microkorg are two completely different beasts. The former uses the RADIAS engine, the latter that of the MS2000. You definitely want the XL.

Last edited by PaPi : 08.04.2010 at 08:52 PM.