View Single Post
Old 28.05.2015, 05:34 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
If you want to use the multiple hardware audio outs of your Virus and to not send audio via USB, you'll have to reroute the audio back into cubase using wires and a soundcard.
I think this is what he is attempting to do here -- route the audio from the analog outs to Traktor (some of this was captured in another thread though, which is why it may not be clear here).

It's good to have both methods in the toolbox, but if the USB is working well for you then it can certainly make things simpler (not to mention frees up audio inputs on the audio interface).

But I just wanted to clarify to him that what you are telling him about the USB setup and what I'm suggesting is two different things. Clicking the box with the arrow on the VST Rack will not create the audio busses for you automatically in Cubase 8 Pro.

So for reference, fallward if you're looking at MM's approach, you're dealing with USB1 L+R, USB2 L+R and so forth. If going with the bus approach I've mentioned you want to stay away from those altogether and use Out1 L+R, Out2 L+R etc. My approach uses USB only for the MIDI data (notes/automation/patch changes etc.).

Advantage of analog outs is tends to sound better, latency is all but non-existent, and USB 1.1 streaming between the Virus and the PC is removed from the equation. The disadvantage of analog outs for 3 stereo connections you need a total of six quarter inch cables running to your audio interface, you have to create and deal with busses.

Advantage of USB is that it is that if it works well for you, it is much less fiddly, requires less cables, and generally feels more integrated like working with soft-synth instruments in any given DAW. Also with the Snow you have 3 USB outs and only one set of analog which gives mixing versatility if you're working with simple enough sounds to actually get 3 at a time out of it. Disadvantage of USB is that it just doesn't work well for some folks.

My personal experience was that I got things working well enough with USB but there was still some detectable latency, all of which went away when I went analog outs. Since I have to use analog outs for other hardware it wasn't a problem for me. It might be for others.