View Single Post
Old 18.12.2014, 09:42 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutrinoland View Post
How about sampling the oscillator and then modulating it's phase with an LFO to mimic a free running oscillator ?
I could be wrong, but at first glance I don't think this would have the desired effect, because a waveform of a sine wave is not really the same as a sine wave or any other natural signal from an oscillator, it has a designated start and end point which have data values between them (well data that represents data really).

For example look at the image on the web page below where it shows the basic wave types. Raw audio signals like a sine wave can be mathematically represented within the ranges of 1 to -1, so that the absolute value of data points between each zero point is the same (or the real values are symmetrical we could say, for example when the 0 to 1 portion is at .5 the 0 to -1 portion is at -.5, etc.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawtoot...:Waveforms.svg

To the best of my understanding, all that flies out the window when dealing with any sort of audio clip. It might end up symmetrical enough to achieve this sort of phasing effect by matter of coincidence, but I don't think it would behave like an oscillator with most sound bytes.

That is, unless the data is read and synthesized.

I believe the plug-in Harmor does this (by image line). You can import a sample and it will basically read the data within and convert it into oscillator settings, then you can tweak the osc.

I think the best reason to use samples is because they are lighter on processing. The CPU doesn't have to "think" much (i.e. constantly compute the sine wave).