Thread: Namm 2013
View Single Post
Old 21.11.2012, 03:06 AM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
Yeah I agree, firewire's days are numbered but so is usb. The latest macbook pro's sport 2 usb 3 ports & 2 thunderbolt ports & flash drives. The only reason the usb ports are there are to plug your mouse or flash drive in. If you use it to connect to a large display, audio interface or whatever why would you use the usb ports on a computer that can go way faster than the usb bandwith & have the faster thunderbolt option?
I really don't think thunderbolt is a 'niche' market (apple computers are not a niche market, everyone I know uses them) & everyone wants there computer set up to run faster & more efficiently & the old technology will go the way of all old technology. Who knows what is next but the future connectivity is not usb as far as I can see. Even at 3 thunderbolt still smokes it.
Just my experienced 2c.
I really don't see USB going anywhere. It is installed on the vast majority of PCs that are out there and/or being shipped, Thunderbolt isn't. Yes, Apple is a niche market, at somewhere around 15% of the market (unless you count iOS devices....). Thunderbolt still currently requires the Mux/Demux chips in each cable,. which makes even a short cable cost $40. The cost of implementing thunderbolt is higher as well... especially for storage type devices.