View Single Post
Old 16.06.2004, 12:09 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

I think its generally down to this:

1) There are alot of bedroom wanabees who release on obscure lables....and who have had no/very little musical training. I think poor songwriting is the Number 1 cause. Its a well documented fact that synthesizers allows musically inept people to make 'music'. Coupled with a lack of musical theory, is a lack of creativity and an over reliance on overused presets.

2) Synthesizers have been used for dance music since late 80's, early 90's and we have all been exposed to 303's, power chords and distorted leads. Its hard if not impossible to sound fresh if you keep using those sounds.

3) Midi. You wanna sound a bit different? Hmm..... use as little midi as possible. Try playing parts in live. Open/close filters live......it makes a big difference and it really alters the general feeling of the track. Ive listened to 80's stuff....even some early 90's rave that quite obviously used manual filter manipulations. Refreshing! Your virus was designed for live tweaking...so why not try it?

Juho is right to point out that artists just dont bother to try something new. But I suspect that this refers to point No. 1

I should imagine that a classically trained pianist (who could be converted to the dark side of techno) would be able to come up with something interesting.

DS