View Single Post
Old 12.02.2006, 08:36 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Quote:
Originally Posted by solconnection
is there anything particular to look up theory wise in regards to modulating voicings (as searching for voicings/modulation in any combo didnt really give me any results)

im trying more and more to get into the theory and this sounds interesting

have a nice day
-Dan
Dont think so - at least I havnt found much, but cant say I have ever looked for it. (And no I'm not a trained musician - just a hacker).

Heres a for eg:

Play a Eb7maj chord normal voicing with a nice silky pad - if you have a C or TI - find the "slowsilk" patch as a for eg.
Eb(4), G(4), Bb(4) D(5).

(Numbers in brackets are the midi octave numbers, so middle C is C4, D above is D4 etc)

Nice chord, sounds ok, but maybe a little thin?

Try voicing as follows:

Eb(2), Bb(4) D(5), G(5)

Sounds rather different and yet the same? Nice shiny highs and some good low-end subtle body to it, and yet its stays quite airy and doesnt overpower in the way that octave layered patches tend to? I think when voiced like this it has a lovely rich orchestral feel to it.

Welcome to the world before super-saws

If you are programming rather than playing, then maybe drop the 5th (Bb) down an octave as well - personally I prefer the sound usually when only the root is dropped, which also has the advantage of leaving the voicing playable.

Its quite common to split the 1st and 5th out of 7th chords and drop them down an octave relative to 3rd and 7th. Also you down have to play all 4 notes of a 7th, or all 5 of a 9th etc.

Just experiment with stuff, try different invertions, drop the root down an octave or two etc - if you listen to the vengence demos I think alot of them use similar voicings. Same with Ben if I remember right in his NAMM demos.

I think classical piano lessons tend not to pay much attension to this kind of thing unless you are also learning orchestral arrangement (so you can figure out how to split a 7th/9th/11th etc across violins, violas, cello, contra etc). Jazz and Blues orientated lessons on the other hand live and breathe by this if you have a half decent teacher.