Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 11.02.2019, 12:34 PM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Hey djinfinitee,

Before you continue to change unnecessary things. What you are describing will most likely be on one and the same faulty cap (100uF 25V), as described in more detail here, for example:

http://joeyfehrenbach.tumblr.com/pos...pair-adventure

or the cap(s) mentioned by Timo here:
http://infekted.org/virus/showthread...highlight=boot
(last picture)

So the best thing to do is to replace the left one and see if it works..
(That's just a guess.)

greetings,
rio
Old 11.02.2019, 12:53 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Yep, more info:- http://infekted.org/virus/showthread...917#post305917
Old 07.05.2019, 08:30 PM
New here
New here

Is this repair something that's suitable for someone with little soldering experience?

I've got a Virus Indigo exhibiting these symptoms, while my first thought was to get it serviced, I'd actually quite like to learn the basics of this stuff so wouldn't mind trying to fix it myself (I got it cheap enough that I could live with myself, just, if I totally broke it 😂)

It sounds like it is fairly straightforward, but whenever I've tried fixing stuff before it's always turned out to be more complicated than I expected! Should I just need a basic soldering iron? Could I get an old/dummy circuit board to try it out on with a spare capacitor? Do I need to be particularly worried about discharge from the capacitor injuring me or should it be OK if I leave it unplugged for a day or two?

Any pointers gratefully appreciated (and if you don't think it's really suitable for an unexperienced solderer please say!)
Old 07.05.2019, 09:14 PM
Administrator

I'd imagine Youtube would be useful for soldering tuts. Practicing on an old/dummy circuit board would be very useful beforehand.

You'll be pleased to know that desoldering a cap[acitor] is much easier than a pot[entiometer] - A cap only has two straight legs to desolder and pull out, whereas a pot has six and they're all bulky and kinked!

Kit you'll likely need:
* Low-wattage soldering iron, with a fine tip
* Soldering iron stand (to rest the iron while it's heating up)
* Wet sponge/paper for cleaning the iron (of any old globules) before tinning the iron tip
* New capacitors of the correct specification
* Solder (not too bulky/thick) with flux
* Solder-sucker (to remove molten solder when you're de-soldering the old cap out)
* Wire cutters or similar, to trim the capacitor legs to length after soldering them in.

Low-wattage soldering iron, 15 Watts or so, is useful to avoid burning things. A fine-tip on the iron allows you to work with greater precision, some tips (sold as default) are a little big and bulky and unsuited to circuit board work.

If you take the ribbon cables out of the main board to separate the chassis away from the front panel, make sure you remember which ribbon cable goes to which socket as there are three ribbon cables and they all look identical.
Old 08.05.2019, 06:31 AM
New here
New here

Thanks Timo, very helpful advice! I’m going to give it a go - a while ago I bought an 8x8x8 LED cube kit, so I need the equipment anyway if I’m ever to build that... I think I’ll use that as a practice project then move on to the synth Would be a handy skill to have!
Old 08.05.2019, 07:20 PM
Administrator

8x8x8 cube? Straight in the deep end there. Would be more difficult I think as you're effectively soldering the LEDs in mid-air. Soldering a cap into a circuit board is easier as both legs are effectively tethered.