Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 28.01.2009, 03:37 AM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Default Pops and clicks

I've had my TI now for several years and still have problems with pops and clicks in multi mode typically with multis with 3 or more sounds at a time that are pads/drones. It's super annoying and was really hoping the new subsequent OS's over the years would have addressed this. Anyone else still notice this?

J.
Old 28.01.2009, 04:07 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numina View Post
I've had my TI now for several years and still have problems with pops and clicks in multi mode typically with multis with 3 or more sounds at a time that are pads/drones.
Just curious, how complex are the sounds you are using? You can check this by looking at the 5 bar meter that is at the right side of the display when you are looking at the main patch screen.

It could be that even though you are only using a few sounds, they are very resource heavy (analog filter, fancy oscillator types, unison, etc) and you are red-lining the DSP processors.

There is a great section in the Snow manual on how this all works, and how to look for and deal with patches that are resource heavy.

Just a thought.
Old 28.01.2009, 10:41 AM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

I do exactly have the same problems, but even sometimes when i use single mode. I also have my TI for many years now and the problems still exist even with the newest TIOS's.
I got in contact with the support team, but they explained me that the patches I use are ressource heavy and the problems are normal. I don't think that it's normal to max out the polyphony with only one patch and three notes at the same time. So I also would like to know if anyone else has the same problems.

For example, when I use ROM B 108 SuperWrmMS, three notes at the same time in the sequencer, i sometimes get nasty clicks, that can even be heard in the delay of the synth. It must be an internal problem. The don't occur very often, but only one such click can destroy your export or dump.

If anyone's interested in the cubase project, i will upload it.

What's also interesting is that the DSP load indicator on the TI is full (5 dots), even when I don't play a note with this patch. That means that any note can max out the dsp?

Thanks for the help and cheers

Tiphares
Old 28.01.2009, 02:19 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Hi - thanks for the responses. Yes, some of my patches are resource heavy with the bar-meter at about 4 or 5, but it doen't ever seem like I'm really pushing the limit on polyphony. Also, as Tiphares mentioned, I sometimes have this problem in single mode too - but usually seems to occur in multi.

I'm glad to know I'm not alone and will learn to live with it.

Thanks again.

J.
Old 28.01.2009, 02:22 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiphares View Post
I do exactly have the same problems, but even sometimes when i use single mode. I also have my TI for many years now and the problems still exist even with the newest TIOS's.
I got in contact with the support team, but they explained me that the patches I use are ressource heavy and the problems are normal. I don't think that it's normal to max out the polyphony with only one patch and three notes at the same time. So I also would like to know if anyone else has the same problems.

For example, when I use ROM B 108 SuperWrmMS, three notes at the same time in the sequencer, i sometimes get nasty clicks, that can even be heard in the delay of the synth. It must be an internal problem. The don't occur very often, but only one such click can destroy your export or dump.

If anyone's interested in the cubase project, i will upload it.

What's also interesting is that the DSP load indicator on the TI is full (5 dots), even when I don't play a note with this patch. That means that any note can max out the dsp?

Thanks for the help and cheers

Tiphares
the DSP load indicator shows how expensive a patch is. it is not an indicator for the current load. send me a cubase project and i'll have a look if it can replicate your findings.

best, marc
access music
Old 29.01.2009, 05:32 AM
Newborn
Newborn

Add me to the "still getting this after several years list." Subjectively, it doesn't sound like something caused by "a total dsp work asked of the Virus vs. it's total dsp capacity issue" ... it seems more like certain configurations / modulation setups cause unexpectedly large spikes in the required calculations.

I did some tests, and was unable to reproduce the behavior with high polyphony loads of a simple 2 osc test voice. I'm guessing it is a DSP overrun, but not a simple "making it do too much" thing. The best analogy I can come up with is that it's like a really strong person that can carry twenty cinderblocks, but can only juggle three of them.

I get this sometimes from a single, but mostly it's multitibral that causes it. It's gotten worse with the new OS. I believe it also got worse with the first version of the last big update, but improved again with subsequent builds.

It would be nice to have system total dsp display someplace.

This all relates to using Virus Control / Logic 8, btw. From what I remember from the old email list, people using the analog outs don't have this problem.
Old 29.01.2009, 06:56 AM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
the DSP load indicator shows how expensive a patch is. it is not an indicator for the current load
Really? I'm convinced I've seen that load indicator fluctuating for a given patch, in real time.
Old 29.01.2009, 10:40 PM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

Thanks for the help!

The clicks also occur with a single patch, but if I want to be sure that they occur, I have to load more than one patch. It seems to me as if those problems mostly occur when the ti allocates the dsp power for a patch. After this "allocation" there are fewer problems. The clicks can be heard mostly at the beginning of a sequence of a "new" patch.

Here is a cubase project with an mp3-export.
We can clearly hear the clicks.

MP3:
http://home.zhaw.ch/~projebal/ti/problem.mp3

Project:
http://home.zhaw.ch/~projebal/ti/problem.cpr

I know that I'm kind of overloading the TI, but it's the only way to be sure that the problems occur.

Thanks in advance
Tiphares
Old 30.01.2009, 09:17 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorik View Post
This all relates to using Virus Control / Logic 8, btw. From what I remember from the old email list, people using the analog outs don't have this problem.
anybody who discovers pops and clicks ONE with the USB outs and not with the analogue outs has a USB transmission problem. you're right in the respect that in the early days there were issues in virus control which could have resulted in those artefacts. i'm sure those don't exist anymore.

marc
Old 30.01.2009, 09:20 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzymackenzie View Post
Really? I'm convinced I've seen that load indicator fluctuating for a given patch, in real time.
i know this effect when it hops from say 4 bars to 3 bars and back again. that's more like an inaccuracy in the measurement.
it updates in realtime when you change the sound but it doesn't take the amount of voices played into account.

marc