Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 04.01.2005, 02:05 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot
did you see the rumored price point? $7k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8O 8O 8O 8O
WHAT?!

Ok. Korg is in bankrupt. Old Tritons won't sell, Triton Extreme is mostly crap and a new super product that has so high price that only two units will be bought.
Old 04.01.2005, 03:25 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

who knows they could have been working on this one for over 3 years and it might offer some outstanding features like granular,sampling workstation with a large hd,advence synthesis like tons of digital clasic oscilators,additive synthesis,vector synthesis,pysical modeling,multiplay evelopes,tons of fx,full modular stracture with an onboard computer with advence sequencer and few preamps,eq and dynamic tools. this would mean its the ultimate tool for production and you wont need anything alse other then monitors connected to this to product.

so...
it could be something revolutionary!

or......
and it might be just fat VA crap of thing which they are asking 6 times more money then they should.

remember the original price of the alesis a6-5500 euro and the neutron-6500 euro.
Old 04.01.2005, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomer=Trance
or......
and it might be just fat VA crap of thing which they are asking 6 times more money then they should.
Probably somthing like this. I guess a mix of VA and sampler workstation. It's a good idea but hte price is just high and the quality just doesn't quite hit it.
Old 04.01.2005, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to 3o3

If that thing cost $7k i wonder how long Korg will survive. Insane!

"Welcome to the Berserk-Inn - If one customer is difficult, no-one survives" - http://www.4barloop.com/
Old 04.01.2005, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3o3
If that thing cost $7k i wonder how long Korg will survive. Insane!
I've been expecting Korg to go bankrupt since the competition at workstation area really got going about year or two back. Korg really didn't do anything to improve it's products. It seems like Korg has been really callous in a "Nah, why to improve. We have a good name from Tritons in late 90's" style. Triton Extreme can barely keep up in the competition and the prices are higher than the alternatives. Korg needs huge change or it'll be in bankrupt.
Old 04.01.2005, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to 3o3

We'll just sit back and watch then. hehe

"Welcome to the Berserk-Inn - If one customer is difficult, no-one survives" - http://www.4barloop.com/
Old 04.01.2005, 06:07 PM
Administrator

OK, Check this out.

The most expensive synth on www.musiciansfriend.com at this time is:

Sale Price: $5,455.00

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/703223/

OpenSynth neKo 64 Dual 1.4GHz Opteron 61-Key Workstation

The ad touts:

Quote:
A powerhouse open-architecture synth/virtual studio that will never become obsolete!

Tired of having to replace your keyboard workstation every few years? Fed up with latency and sync problems with your synth controller and computer? Want to update your sounds to the hippest, freshest sounds available, but frustrated by dealing with one manufacturer? Then neKo is for you. Think of it as a complete portable studio that offers self-contained recording, editing, and mastering.

It pulls together the functions of a Digital Audio Workstation, MIDI controller, multiple control surfaces, and a 61-key semi-weighted keyboard into one unit that offers an array of I/O options. The all-in-one design eliminates the clutter and confusion of traditional desktop computer systems so you can focus on what really matters . . . the music.

The neKo utilizes industry standard micro-ATX motherboards, processors, and hard drives that allow you to run standard operating systems and use standard PC-compatible hardware. It can accommodate the fastest processors available, and more RAM and storage than any other music workstation. Which means when you want more power, more memory, or more storage--you get it. It also gives you near-zero latency even under high processor loads. Already have a few PCI cards (like from Creamware or Digidesign) you'd like to keep using? No problem. The neKo accepts full-size PCI cards. And unlike traditional computers that take minutes to start up, neKo utilizes a unique boot process that allows it to start in seconds.

Instead of a bunch of preloaded proprietary sounds, neKo can host the industry standard VSTi software synthesizers, samplers, and audio processing plug-ins of your choice. It can run any plug-in or application designed for the Windows XP operating system including products from Steinberg, Native Instruments, Synapse Audio, IK Multimedia, and many others. Plus an Ethernet port allows you direct access to the Internet, to quickly and easily download upgrades, sounds, and applications. A custom-built, user-friendly interface enables you to change settings and access programs quickly, easily, and effectively. A bank of interchangeable control modules provide a physical interface for easier control of software instruments and are designed to support virtually any future control options.

It includes a special audio-optimized version of Microsoft Windows XP Professional, a 15" LCD monitor, dual 1.4GHz 64-bit AMD Opteron processors, multiple audio control surfaces, integrated computer keyboard, 2-button trackpad, 61-key, semi-weighted, synth-action board, pitch and mod wheels, 512MB RAM (expandable to 8GB), 80GB, 7200rpm hard drive, a high-performance audio I/O card with extremely low latency, a high-speed CDRW drive, and an assignable footswitch. You also have access to a headphone jack with volume control, 4 drive bays (2 x 3.5", 1 x 5.25" CDRW, 1 x 5.25" removable, hot-swappable 3.5" HD), 4 USB ports, a 10/100T Ethernet port, and 2 open full-length PCI slots.

10 in/10 out high-performance audio I/O supports 24-bit/96kHz digital audio and includes MIDI In/Thru/Out, S/PDIF, 1/4", Word Clock, and XLR mic inputs with preamps.
My point is that if the new Korg Tragedy costs $2,300 more than this beast, it should also provide this much functionlaity + $2,300 more, right?

That's gonna' be hard to do...

I think someone at Kord R&D is smoking crack!

Has anyone used one of these Opteron mothers????

-AlexHall74
Old 04.01.2005, 07:55 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to mcoyote

Nobody outside of Korg has any idea home much this thing will cost, what it actually does, etc. Vendors were listing and taking pre-orders on the TI months prior to release (you have yours, right? mine's pretty cool), so it's anybody's guess when this thing really sees the light of day.

For example, there is no pure analog or hybrid design out there with any kind of polyphony for less that about $3k US, save the Dave Smith Poly Evolver, and that almost doesn't count (it sounds mighty cool, no doubt). Yet Moog has the stones to sell their mono thingy for over $3k US.

If this thing actually has a pile of analog or analog/digital oscillators with a lot of polyphony, parallel effects, etc., it would be pretty expensive. There is still only so much you can do between 20hz and 20khz that anyone wouldn't rather do on a PC (e.g., sequencing), however.
Old 04.01.2005, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot
did you see the rumored price point? $7k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8O 8O 8O 8O
WHAT?!

Ok. Korg is in bankrupt. Old Tritons won't sell, Triton Extreme is mostly crap and a new super product that has so high price that only two units will be bought.
The Tritons (bar the Triton Extreme) have all been discontinued, so it looks like this new keyboard is a workstation replacement of the Triton line.

http://www.korg.co.uk/products/disco...scontinued.asp

[Edit: - This has since been found NOT to be the case - All Tritons (except Triton Classic, which was replaced by the Extreme) will remain in production for some time to come].
Old 04.01.2005, 08:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexHall74
OK, Check this out.

The most expensive synth on www.musiciansfriend.com at this time is:

Sale Price: $5,455.00

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/703223/

OpenSynth neKo 64 Dual 1.4GHz Opteron 61-Key Workstation

The ad touts:

Quote:
A powerhouse open-architecture synth/virtual studio that will never become obsolete!

Tired of having to replace your keyboard workstation every few years? Fed up with latency and sync problems with your synth controller and computer? Want to update your sounds to the hippest, freshest sounds available, but frustrated by dealing with one manufacturer? Then neKo is for you. Think of it as a complete portable studio that offers self-contained recording, editing, and mastering.

It pulls together the functions of a Digital Audio Workstation, MIDI controller, multiple control surfaces, and a 61-key semi-weighted keyboard into one unit that offers an array of I/O options. The all-in-one design eliminates the clutter and confusion of traditional desktop computer systems so you can focus on what really matters . . . the music.

The neKo utilizes industry standard micro-ATX motherboards, processors, and hard drives that allow you to run standard operating systems and use standard PC-compatible hardware. It can accommodate the fastest processors available, and more RAM and storage than any other music workstation. Which means when you want more power, more memory, or more storage--you get it. It also gives you near-zero latency even under high processor loads. Already have a few PCI cards (like from Creamware or Digidesign) you'd like to keep using? No problem. The neKo accepts full-size PCI cards. And unlike traditional computers that take minutes to start up, neKo utilizes a unique boot process that allows it to start in seconds.

Instead of a bunch of preloaded proprietary sounds, neKo can host the industry standard VSTi software synthesizers, samplers, and audio processing plug-ins of your choice. It can run any plug-in or application designed for the Windows XP operating system including products from Steinberg, Native Instruments, Synapse Audio, IK Multimedia, and many others. Plus an Ethernet port allows you direct access to the Internet, to quickly and easily download upgrades, sounds, and applications. A custom-built, user-friendly interface enables you to change settings and access programs quickly, easily, and effectively. A bank of interchangeable control modules provide a physical interface for easier control of software instruments and are designed to support virtually any future control options.

It includes a special audio-optimized version of Microsoft Windows XP Professional, a 15" LCD monitor, dual 1.4GHz 64-bit AMD Opteron processors, multiple audio control surfaces, integrated computer keyboard, 2-button trackpad, 61-key, semi-weighted, synth-action board, pitch and mod wheels, 512MB RAM (expandable to 8GB), 80GB, 7200rpm hard drive, a high-performance audio I/O card with extremely low latency, a high-speed CDRW drive, and an assignable footswitch. You also have access to a headphone jack with volume control, 4 drive bays (2 x 3.5", 1 x 5.25" CDRW, 1 x 5.25" removable, hot-swappable 3.5" HD), 4 USB ports, a 10/100T Ethernet port, and 2 open full-length PCI slots.

10 in/10 out high-performance audio I/O supports 24-bit/96kHz digital audio and includes MIDI In/Thru/Out, S/PDIF, 1/4", Word Clock, and XLR mic inputs with preamps.
My point is that if the new Korg Tragedy costs $2,300 more than this beast, it should also provide this much functionlaity + $2,300 more, right?

That's gonna' be hard to do...

I think someone at Kord R&D is smoking crack!

Has anyone used one of these Opteron mothers????

-AlexHall74
this is not a synth its a pc computer with buildin keyboard,audio interface and screen and its rather portable
i wouldnt buy such a thing-i rather buy a laptop and this things seperatly would probably get more power and cheaper price.