Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 04.01.2005, 08:52 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Tomer=Trance wrote:
"this is not a synth its a pc computer with buildin keyboard,audio interface and screen and its rather portable
i wouldnt buy such a thing-i rather buy a laptop and this things seperatly would probably get more power and cheaper price."
Ok, that's what it is.

I agree, buy a device for what it is good for.

Then if you get sick of it or it breaks you only get rid of one piece of gear, not three crucial pieces at once.

Thanks for clarifying.

Unless this thing is bad ass and affordable Korg is sucking wind as the competition blows by them.

-AlexHall74
Old 05.01.2005, 02:35 PM
Administrator

All Tritons except the Triton Classic (which was dicontinued long ago, to make way for the Extreme) are NOT discontinued and will remain in production for some time to come, Jerry at Korg USA says.

It's looking more and more likely that this keyboard is the full-blown "OASYS" concept that has finally come to light! - A completely open-ended modelling synth.

Here's the form it was originally meant to be released in, in the mid-90's, but never got to see the light of day:-

http://www.vanille.de/extras/oasys/oasys.html

No wonder Access announced the TI early.
Old 05.01.2005, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Kick ass article Timo!

Good research find!

That would be a REEEEALLLY cool board to work with. That's a killer of a price though, way past my means!

We will all just have to wait and see.

Apparently, if this is the new digs, then what is to happen to the Triton Line?

Is that line not well on its way to being outdated?

The Triton is Korg's "flagship" synth, right?

It seems they should be focusing on making the next Triton crush the Fantom-X and Motif...

Maybe I just don't know jack-shit about marketing? 8O

-AlexHall74
Old 05.01.2005, 07:50 PM
Administrator

>>Apparently, if this is the new digs, then what is to happen to the Triton Line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrythek
"OK - you know I'm not going to answer any questions - I just want to sit quietly on the sidelines until NAMM.

But I will tell you that the TRITON Studio is NOT discontinued by Korg, nor us... if the UK is not supporting it that's one thing, but as a worldwide stance it is still very much alive and will be for some time to come.

The only TRITON we have discontinued was the Classic line, so the Le, Studio, Extreme and Rack are all still very much alive.
"
http://www.irishacts.com/forum/phpBB...?p=77429#77429

Jerry's a bigshot at Korg USA, so his word is pretty much gospel.

If the $7K price tag is for the top-whack weighted 88-note version, then the 61 note version might be considerably more palatable. Some observers have mentioned the Triton Studio was around $7K RRP top whack originally, with the 61-note being more like $4K street price. If that is duplicated with this synth, it would possibly bring it within about $1K of the Access TI's prices. I guess it depends.

Still not cheap, but if it is indeed the OASYS engine then it would offer a good bang for the buck as it is insanely flexible. Limitless, almost.

Interesting times await.
Old 05.01.2005, 09:24 PM

Interesting article. I used to own a prophecy, and the modelling was superb to say the least. Some of the sounds you could get out of it were amazing.
It would be nice if it were 4k, but not alot of home studio owners could afford that board, including me.
Old 05.01.2005, 10:34 PM

regardless of what korg produces, all credit to them for the professional approach of their release....

it will be two months tomoro since access announced the TI series, and all we have heard or seen in this time is some pretty 3d renderings...

at least korg had the maturity to withhold any info until they could give a definate release date.
Old 05.01.2005, 10:45 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to mcoyote

Quote:
...at least korg had the maturity to withhold any info until they could give a definate release date.
IPOF, if this is the realization of the Oasys concept, Korg did the bait-and-hold much worse than Access. The prototype was showcased at a few shows and delivery was promised again and again for a period of years until they finally shippped the PCI card version for Macs.

In truth, then, this unit was "announced" in something like 1995 and users have been waiting ever since.
Old 05.01.2005, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Hiya mcoyote, the Oasys was much too expensive in its original form in 1994 - it was originally slated to have a $10K tag or something, and as it was so far ahead of its time the DSP available wasn't as powerful or cost-effective as they liked. Now, 11 years later, it's the perfect chance.

However, parts of the original R&D for the Oasys has since trickled into a lot of later Korg's products. - Wavedrum, Prophecy, Z1, Trinity, the Electribes, etc.
Old 05.01.2005, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoyote
In truth, then, this unit was "announced" in something like 1995 and users have been waiting ever since.
maybe we'll be waiting till 2016 for the damn TI.

my point is basically that i think it is poor form on access' behalf to announce and then no info for two months - not even an update.

if i had known it was going to take this long i would have waited to sell some of my stocks (which i wouldve received dividends from end of year) - also these stocks have risen $1 AUD in the meantime.

so forgive me for being a little annoyed by the premature release of information (especially if it were only for korgs benefit)
Old 06.01.2005, 12:15 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Must agree with you there blay. This is the second access product (first being powercore virus) ive pre-ordered because they said the shipping date would be one thing, then its delayed for an extended period of time for whatever reason. I could of used the deposit money for other kit or whatever in the meantime and paid for the TI with the pay cheque nearer its rell date.

Its bloody simple to me. DONT ANNOUNCE PRODUCTS TILL THEY ARE READY TO SHIP. Its a right pain in the arse for consumers to be made to keep waiting and waiting on things to be released when companies have already given release dates, even 'expected ones' (which obviously mean jack coming from access). If you cant keep release dates, dont give them or even estimations when you announce new gear, its pretty bloody simple. I for one would rather be totally oblivious to new kit until its totally ready to ship and I can actually buy it.

If this 'paper' announcement was in someway because access wanted everyone to hype to the TI instead of korgs gear then they should have more faith in thier own product and kept it quiet until either it was ready to ship or at least you had a DEFINATE date letting the buyers make up thier own minds.

And to top it off access havent given us ANYTHING else. No audio demos, no indepth specs and workings, no ideas on how certain features work. Surely they must know all this already, or will it be a suprise for us to find out for oursevles??? ooo, what joy.

ten