Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 17.10.2012, 06:25 AM
Pro
Pro

Bought the Waldorf Blofeld Black Keyboard early Summer this year once I knew most O.S. updates had fixed most bugs other than the arp first note timing issue that's kind of inherent in alot of Waldorf gear. I actually think it augments/supports diversity in one's set-up as aforementioned, different synths have different sound personalities. Have a few other rack synths by Waldorf and am used to the intuitive interface and it is a very capable synth--can be crazy twilightzone or velvety lush and both at same time in multimode. It's SO distinctly it's own sound, decide not much overlap and have kept my Microwave XT orange beast because it is not really a VA rather, it is a true synth in which I am convinced is reversed engineered alien technology! The Blofeld nowhere reaches sound design abilities of the XT. Having multiple flavors of synths ALSO means in a mix, not having to use massive polyphony on any one instrument and keeps frequencies from canceling each other out rather than becoming muddy.

Have a DSI Evolver Desktop and I think since 2 of 4 oscillators are fully analog and can modulate anything with everything, with a stereo external input, rather than a Mopho, will definitely be adding a MonoEvolver Keyboard to daisychain the two and have all the extra buttons and knobs/control. For versatility, the Evolver wins every time for me over the Mopho as Evolver is definitely not a one trick or two pony and the sounds....lovely madness. It also looks quite nice resting on the Virus KC and there will be just enough room on far right side for the MonoEvolver keyboard to live on my Virus KB...yep, find enough distinct differences between B/C is why have both and the Blofeld holds it's own with that trio!

Should add to be further on-topic that amongst my rack units, there lives the first Supernova, where she too has her own distinctions to contribute. My Maine Coone Cat-Mix keeps them all from quibling by laying upside down on his back spread eagle every time I am playing, right below one of the heavy duty onstage kybd stands
Old 08.12.2012, 10:39 PM
Infektion taking hold...

As discussed in another thread, you and I have very similar set-ups, and more. I had a MoPho kb, but sold it to a bandmate, and replaced it with an MEK, which is beyond awesome a mono synth. Also have a Little Phatty, (my 2nd- sold the 1st one), a Blofeld kb which I also love to death, and a Virus KB. Of the 4 currently, the Blofeld is my most used polysynth, and an absolute joy to dig in and synthesize- the mod matrix is so intelligently laid out, it's a breeze going through each of the 16 modulation slots- and the sound can be anything from lush and sparkly, all the way to crude and vicious. The Phatty does basses and solo's, and sounds, well, like a Moog. MEK can do all that, plus crazy stuff, especially with the sequencer. Sometimes it runs wild while I'm playing something else on another synth. Then, there's my Virus KB, which I love, but if one had to go, this would be the one. Great as it is, between it and Mr Blo, well, what I said about tweaking the Waldorf is true, and Virus is much more challenging. May have to keep all 4, but my music room is crowded with basses/guitars/ amps/pedalboards- I need room. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
Old 09.12.2012, 12:50 AM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Boogie View Post
As discussed in another thread, you and I have very similar set-ups, and more. I had a MoPho kb, but sold it to a bandmate, and replaced it with an MEK, which is beyond awesome a mono synth. Also have a Little Phatty, (my 2nd- sold the 1st one), a Blofeld kb which I also love to death, and a Virus KB. Of the 4 currently, the Blofeld is my most used polysynth, and an absolute joy to dig in and synthesize- the mod matrix is so intelligently laid out, it's a breeze going through each of the 16 modulation slots- and the sound can be anything from lush and sparkly, all the way to crude and vicious. The Phatty does basses and solo's, and sounds, well, like a Moog. MEK can do all that, plus crazy stuff, especially with the sequencer. Sometimes it runs wild while I'm playing something else on another synth. Then, there's my Virus KB, which I love, but if one had to go, this would be the one. Great as it is, between it and Mr Blo, well, what I said about tweaking the Waldorf is true, and Virus is much more challenging. May have to keep all 4, but my music room is crowded with basses/guitars/ amps/pedalboards- I need room. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
Just remember when space is an issue, MIDI is indeed your best beast of a friend!!! Also, do not negate the fact the KB could be resting outside the stands and used to process audio through her let alone whilst using midi thru to pass signals through your chain when you want.
Yes, the MEK is quite awesome and I have now two desktop evolvers polychained to it and of course the extra audio outs required meant adding another one space 16 channel mixer but oh, the sound!! "I see (and hear) stars!!!"
Agree with you the Virus KB and KC is a bit more challenging but I actually like that because it forces me to see outside the box of possibilities and I know will be learning every day something new and through repetition, will become able to then go even further down the rabbit hole. The Virus has lots of knobs BUT all the menus diving could easily been mostly eliminated if they had utilized even part of the 75% of unused real estate on top of at least the keyboard version. I can see where the design is such that the desktop Virus is laid out exactly same but most of use knob-twiddlers would have paid more for more immediately accessed parameters with dedicated knobs or MORE knobs utilizing the "shift button" for those areas. I am certainly not complaining, just mumbling about.
I have an Alesis Fusion that is going to have to go to someone that can use it as I have my **last** rack gear on way, just scored a yellow Waldorf Q Rack and justified it as another Christmas present from my wacko cat
On the MEK, I have been talking to someone at DSI about some things and speaking of MIDI, when and if you ever get a desktop evolver and polychain it to MEK, the MIDI OUT of the MEK can still drive say, a mono instrument like your Moog. Also, when not using the polychain out, it acts as a second MIDI OUT Learned that it's actually advantagious to have our MEK over the Poly Evolver in that it's more capable when polychained than the PEK because in the PEK, for EACH voice used in a "combo", you lose a voice! With the MEK a person can add up to 20 evolver desktops/voices, and not lose polyphony. The sound is massive even with one polychained and with three...let's just say it's quite enough and the analog side of evolver IMO sounds more fat that the Mopho or Prophet 08.
The aftertouch expressiveness on MEK modulation routings is simply amazing....okay, I will stop!