Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 23.04.2013, 12:00 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
Yep, so you're still going for it after all, uh?

I think it's probably the best one on this "return of analogue" race. Along with the new Moog. Listened to the demos again and was blown away by the sound. And it's got very nice overall specs on it. Plus, saw one of the mooger foogers (102, the ring modulation one) going cheap on ebay, and feeling really tempted to get it - I heard it's like a dream come true coupled with the Virus.
Yes, since I decided to keep the Korg Radias rack and key/KorgKomponent Unit, there's a flat aluminum panel that you can move from side to side, depending on which side you slide the Radias Synth on that the MS20-mini will fit perfectly on!
The Moog Sub Phatty does have a more aggressive side when pushed into overdrive but watch a lot more videos because what bothers me is when they talk about "getting under the hood", and with no LCD, there's ALOT of shift/button combinations that are not even labeled and have heard reviewers state that even though there's some sweet typical Moog sounds at very low parameter settings, it kind of has no middle area and then starts sounding very much like an Arturia MiniBrute, and back to "under the hood functions", over and over have heard the words "very non-intuitive" for these button combos and to be honest, at least with MiniBrute you would get After Touch, a very easy to use arp whereas the Sub Phatty's arp is really buried in multiple combo of button pushes....it seems like a great idea but I think that Moog cut corners/costs in all the wrong areas and have not even mentioned the wee keyboard...but am sure they will sell but would bet you Korg will be making many more cash drops from their MS20 mini alone.

I have been told the best magic bullet amongst Moog's Moogfooger line is the one that happens to cost the most called the Midi-MURF multi-mode filter and running the Virus via midi through that filter array would be worth price of two ring modulator moogfoogers as the ring mod is very much a "one trick pony" and only versatile if one has like 6 moogfoogers connected to a 251 box and by this time with a sub phatty you would literally just about buy a Voyager. I figure if I ever get a Moog it's going to not be a half-arsed budget Moog, but one instrument that can do it all with knob per function madness. I dare say that I actually prefer the Little Phatty Stage 2 Keyboard over sub phatty.
But I quickly digressed; The Korg MS20 Mini at $599. is such a bargain with a huge sound pallet, and interconnectivity that it seems to be the most utilitarian and you could add a MiniBrute toMS20 with CV/Gate to have really unique duophonic sound for still same price as one Sub Phatty...and the volca keys or bass will also expand within MS20 taking very little room while adding en mass a sonic wall....something to think about.
Old 23.04.2013, 06:03 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Yeah, I know what you mean. I also think it doesn't make much sense to have "key shortcuts" on an analogue synthesizer - much less in a mono synthesizer. But judging the sound, it sounds like the real deal to me. Those oscillators are damn fat, and the Moog Filter is very juicy, as usual. The feedback thing sounds absolutely wonderful to me.

I also think the Korg is a winner here! But we're talking very different sound character here, not just abstract specs. And the Moog has a very distinct sound as well, that's earned them glory, even though they're sort of conservative when it comes to implementing more features on their range of synthesizers - not as much with the big guy moog voyager, that has ribbon control, x/y pad, semi-modular architecture, so forth and so on. If you add the moog foogers to that equation, I'd be in synthesizer heaven for sure. There's something about that sound.

The Korg is very very famous to, a classic. Have you ever listened to Hallucinogen? Check it out on Youtube, Simon Postford has used the MS 20 as his main synth for that project!