Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 12.03.2013, 04:41 AM
Pro
Pro

i dont think anything gets me less excited then hearing about a new analog modelled mono synth.. give us something new and creative!

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 12.03.2013, 02:49 PM
Veteran
Veteran

I think the problem was with the hype that was created with the teaser, more so then the product itself. This seems to be something in the lines of Diva, but much more cpu friendly. And it's certainly something that was lacking on Native Instruments collection of stuff. It says a lot that they can do it inside Reaktor to!

Nowadays there's a lot of developers doing analogue modeling synthesizers. The thing is, they finally start to deliver on that department. Such things as Diva, and this one. Judging the demos, unlike most people here say, I think it sounds much better then most software out there. But let's wait and see.
Old 10.04.2013, 07:26 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

So I've had the chance to mess around with this synth this evening & I must say it's better than I thought it would be. I put it in live with a step sequencer at the front & one of the new compressors at the rear & went through the presets...it sounds really fat, way better than the demo's on NI's web site. Quite a few of them are obvious copies of recognisable patches from back in the day & was fun to tweak around with them. The GUI is cool looking & very user friendly & familiar. I didn't think I would be using this thing much but after hearing it I have changed my mind & for what it costs it's got to be one of the cheapest Moog emulations out there.
If you are looking for that fat Moogy sound you can't go wrong with this or on the other hand if you have $15000 to spare you could get a 10th anniversary Minimoog voyager
Old 10.04.2013, 01:49 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Yep, the filter is very lush sounding! And the way it drifts ranks way up there along with Diva. It's a very good analogue sounding machine, to my ears. It says a lot about Reaktor's technology and capabilities. I do think some of the most interesting machines out there run on Reaktor - and they're not used a lot, because some people still feel uneasy with it!

I do like the way the pitch gets modulated using another oscillator, mini moog style. It sounds different and is totally usable for me. Instant retro/cool vibe!
Old 10.04.2013, 10:33 PM
This forum member lives here

Question for you guys that own Komplete 9...

Soon I plan to make this purchase; only thing stopping me right now is the sheer amount of existing software I still have to install, configure, install expansions for, etc. I still have Omnisphere to install (probably a half day job!) and many more following that. So the inevitable purchase will happen but it's in the work queue right now.

When I do, I'm going for the crossgrade for Maschine users (basically a hundred bucks off), but my question is.... does Komplete Ultimate have anything compelling over regular Komplete? Looking at the comparison chart, It looks mostly to have stuff like "Alicia's Keys" and more obscure synths stuff I'll never use, but the overall size of the sample library gets my attention.

Thanks for any advice here.
Old 10.04.2013, 11:02 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
Question for you guys that own Komplete 9...

Soon I plan to make this purchase; only thing stopping me right now is the sheer amount of existing software I still have to install, configure, install expansions for, etc. I still have Omnisphere to install (probably a half day job!) and many more following that. So the inevitable purchase will happen but it's in the work queue right now.

When I do, I'm going for the crossgrade for Maschine users (basically a hundred bucks off), but my question is.... does Komplete Ultimate have anything compelling over regular Komplete? Looking at the comparison chart, It looks mostly to have stuff like "Alicia's Keys" and more obscure synths stuff I'll never use, but the overall size of the sample library gets my attention.

Thanks for any advice here.
If your'e looking for easy installation & a LOT more sounds then the ultimate is the way to go. Comes on a dedicated hard drive so the install is way faster than the DVD set that you get with the regular Komplete. Whether you need all the stuff on it depends what you need music wise I guess. There are a lot more Kontakt & Reaktor instruments with the Ultimate collection which you may or may not find useful. Some of the new synths in Reaktor are very cool & there is some really good orchestral & Soundtrack stuff in the Kontakt library. Check out NI's site & see if it's worth the extra $$$ to you.
Old 11.04.2013, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
If your'e looking for easy installation & a LOT more sounds then the ultimate is the way to go. Comes on a dedicated hard drive so the install is way faster than the DVD set that you get with the regular Komplete. Whether you need all the stuff on it depends what you need music wise I guess. There are a lot more Kontakt & Reaktor instruments with the Ultimate collection which you may or may not find useful. Some of the new synths in Reaktor are very cool & there is some really good orchestral & Soundtrack stuff in the Kontakt library. Check out NI's site & see if it's worth the extra $$$ to you.
The ease of installation from the HD is very tempting, but I think I've decided not worth 2x the cost by itself, so it would come down to some of the other stuff. Getting the environment set up is something I do once about every 4 years , and honestly this time it is likely to be even longer, so I think the HD makes more sense for someone that's very mobile or moves between studios or setups a lot.

It's a tough call looking at the comparison chart. I doubt I would ever regret foregoing Razor or Skanner XT, but the sample library that's 3x the size of regular Komplete makes me wonder what I'd be missing there.

I have a feeling I will most likely end up with the regular Komplete rather than Ultimate.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 11.04.2013, 03:50 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Heviocity Damage! check that out! that's like the holly grail of sample collection! but yeah, it's still a lot of money. I tend to think it's much less then one would pay for a Yamaha Motif and it actually delivers much more eheh

but Berni is right, you should check out the website and see if the extra stuff is actually going to get used. I seriously doubt there's anyone out there making full use of Komplete Ultimate. getting deep with reaktor is like having a day time job. and getting to Tim Exile's level is like being an astronaut lol

and then there's plenty of synthesizers with different approaches to synthesis that really ask for time to get the grips of - but are very rewarding. the samples, well, more doesn't kill. you never know when you're going to be craving for that special orchestral string, or violin, or some realistic convincing drums or something - and of course one can process those to pieces. orchestral sounds make good layers for synths sometimes eheh

if this thing was hardware, you'd have to sell your house to buy it. and it would take a house to fit it inside to.
Old 11.04.2013, 04:20 AM

Damage looks interesting. Right when I was ready to save some money you go and tempt me like this Guess I'll have to research each product that's in K9U individually, because I'm not familiar with all of them. I would like to have the strings and horns, and I know that it's all a really phenomenal value (would be $750 for Maschine owners)... just have to make up my mind if I'll get time to use it all and make it worth the extra price.

Also, while looking at the NI page, found an interesting link with A/B of Monark vs. a hardware Moog:

http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...d.php?t=191811

Last edited by MBTC : 11.04.2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11.04.2013, 07:21 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
Instant retro/cool vibe!
Word! Liking it!