Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 30.09.2004, 04:17 PM
New here
New here

Default hardware seq. to send program change for multis [SOLVED]

hello,

I work with a hardware sequencer (yamaha rs7000) and typically insert a program change command at the beginning of each track to ensure the synths are correctly set up.

I've figured out how to select a patch on the virus in single mode using a program change command ( for ex. PC 000-001-008 would select patch 8 on bank b).

But I can't figure out how to work with multi mode.

When I switch to multi mode on the virus, a sysex command is sent to the rs7k. I've recorded that and sent it back to the virus, but it did nothing.

So, can anyone tell me the program change, cc and or sysex commands that I need to send from my hardware sequencer to the virus in order to make the virus go into multi mode and pick the multi i need?

Then, for each track, I need to be able to change and/or select the single from the rs7k.

Thanks for any help,

regards,
Paul
Old 30.09.2004, 10:49 PM
New here
New here

Hi,

I'm working on the problem right now. I found a sysex spec which gives the command:

{F0,00,20,33,01,10,33,bb,F7}

to request a multi bank, bb being the bank no. (i assume in hex?)

That's great, however the rs7k only allows 8 spaces for a sysex command and the above line is 9 numbers! The seq. won't allow me to enter the command without the F0 or F7 at the beginning and end of the string.

So I'm still stuck. I know this must be possible. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!
Paul
Old 01.10.2004, 12:09 AM
New here
New here

Me again,

Heh heh, if I solve this, you people will think I'm totally insane - talking to myself on a public message board!

The sysex command string to switch to multi mode is:

{F0 00 20 33 01 10 72 40 7B 0A F7}

I've figured out how to enter 11 numbers into the sequencer, but unfortunately, the command doesn't work.

So, does anyone know the correct sysex command(s) to change to multi-single mode and then select a particular multi?

I'd also like to be able to change track programs within the mult.

Thanks!
Paul
Old 01.10.2004, 06:58 AM
Am starting to like this forum

Send a message via MSN to AjmaGard

Hmmm, why not work in the Multi-single mode instead? Then everything is just like working with single

Works like a charm for me and my Rm1x
Old 01.10.2004, 03:43 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
Hmmm, why not work in the Multi-single mode instead? Then everything is just like working with single

Works like a charm for me and my Rm1x
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I do work in Multi-single mode.

What I'm looking for is the command(s) to send from my RS to the Virus that will put the Virus into Multi-single mode, select the particular multi program I need and then, if possible, re-select the single programs for each channel.

That way, when I press play on the RS, I am sure the synth is set up correctly.

It's easy in single mode, I just send a program change command.

Regards,
Paul
Old 01.10.2004, 03:51 PM
Am starting to like this forum

Send a message via MSN to AjmaGard

Well I have just inserted the right 'program changes' in the begining of every miditrack. I press play and the Virus is set up using these PCs. The only thing I have to do manually is to set it in Multi-single mode. But it's there all the time anyway, so that's no big deal.

I'm not sure why you would want to load a Multiprogram (except of course if you use layered voices, which I asume that you don't (please correct me if I'm wrong )).

If you don't use layered sounds, I wouldn't spend so much time on the Multi-mode when Multi-single is so easy to use: you just have to load your singles in the begining of every track(/midi-channel) on your RS7K (I WANT ONE OF THOSE!)
Old 01.10.2004, 04:53 PM
New here
New here

Hi Ajma,

Quote:
I'm not sure why you would want to load a Multiprogram (except of course if you use layered voices, which I asume that you don't (please correct me if I'm wrong).
It would be easy to simply insert PC messages at the beginning of all virus tracks and press the multi button on the virus, but I'm a lazy bastard and was hoping to figure out a way to set up all tracks with one or two commands.

I like the idea that, upon pressing play, everything is automatically set up.

Heh heh, ya the RS is a lot of fun. One of those pieces of gear, like the virus I suspect, that's constantly surprising me in what it's capable of.

cheers,
paul
Old 02.10.2004, 12:23 AM
This forum member lives here

I'm not sure at all about switching the Multi/Multi-single mode on remotely. I wouldn't be surprised if it could be done, but having a quick look through the parametres I wouldn't have a clue how to do it.

The only thing I didn't try (just thinking about it now) is trying to record the actual button presses to midi. I'm not even sure if those buttons transmit midi data, but that may work. I'll let you know.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 04.10.2004, 07:06 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
The only thing I didn't try (just thinking about it now) is trying to record the actual button presses to midi. I'm not even sure if those buttons transmit midi data, but that may work. I'll let you know.
Hi,

I tried that. I recorded the button presses directly to the sequencer and I cut and pasted the commands from midiox - no luck.

Cheers,
paul
Old 04.10.2004, 11:59 PM

Ohh, I completely forgot about this. I hadn't tried it yet, but it looks like I don't need to now.

Pitty that didn't work.

Mmmm, I can't think what else to try! Maybe this is one for the access employees. Have you mailed them?
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut