Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 23.10.2005, 02:21 PM
Pro
Pro

Andromeda sure has less bugs than the Virus TI but there's one thing you should know. I haven't yet tried to use the andro in multimode or tried to automate the cutoff with midi cc's for example. I have always recorded the cutoff tweaks manually because andro doesn't have a complete midi cc map and the knobs don't send midi cc. However there is a modulation matrix type of system where you can set up to 30 different midi cc's to work with any of the synth's parameters, like cutoff, so I guess you can control the cutoff and others with midi cc's if you want. I will have to test this today. I have been lazy and I haven't tried it yet. In fact I have to try the multimode now too. I have programmed so many new sounds with my andro that I want to use it multitimbrally.

The OS works very well and I haven't noticed anything strange. Some earlier OS's had some worse bugs but the current one is pretty solid. Never had problems or had to reboot the synth.

Also another warning... The synth is _very_ complex at first. It has 5-10 times the parameters of the Virus TI. You can search some of my earlier posts of what parameters can be tweaked. And because it's analog and has so many parameters, the sound programming is sometimes more difficult than with digital synths. You have to be very careful with the parameters. And the presets aren't very interesting if you're into trance but if you like sound programming alot, it's not a problem. The synth is a sound programmer's dream and when you start to understand how the synth works and what tricks you can use it will be the synth which you love the most.

So the andro has it's downsides too but it still is my best synth.

I noticed that I used some heavy equalization when I was making the demo but andro still has alot more high end in the sound. It DOESN'T aliase because every sine tone is pure sine because it's analog. And the filters are amazing, from another world compared to Virus again. Virus sounds very damped compared to andro.

In fact the most exciting moment in my life has been when I took the andro out of it's box and turned the power on. For the first minutes I just looked at it and didn't know what to say. I had a dream earlier that I had one already but woke up without one so I decided that I just have to get one and so I did (after selling some other synths).

How did I program the Sublime sound?.. Well I just listened to the song and tweaked the synth to sound the same. I cannot give detailed instructions right now but it's just a 1 oscillator sound with some modulations. A friend of mine said that the Ferry's own patch sounds more digital. And that may be true because I read that he might have used a nord lead or some other VA synth for the sound.

Andro and TI are totally different kind of synths. With Virus you get tons of great presets, better effects and polyphony but andro gives you more tweakable synth with a pure analog sound.

And remember that andromeda once was a very expensive synth, 3290 euros list price. I paid 2800 euros for mine. If I had lots of extra money, I would buy another and put it under my bed just to wait the day when my first andro breaks.
Old 24.10.2005, 04:12 PM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
Your turn will come Yoda!
Yeah, it?s getting close now. Only 5 weeks left. Actually a bit scarry 8O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
The problem is that the Mother doesn't let the money be spent on Dad stuff - the kid is happy wearing the same cloths everyday, not wearing nappys, playing with a toilet roll instead of real toys. It's just the Mum doesn't like these things.
Wooden sticks are also a cheap but effective alternative to expensive toys

http://www.myspace.com/onkeldunkeldk
Old 24.10.2005, 04:27 PM
This forum member lives here

My god, the Andromeda costing less than a new Virus. I didnt think id see that day ever come

Nice mp3 btw

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 08.11.2005, 10:35 AM

Heres a few nice andromeda mp3's i found on a Japanese site....

Trancelucent

Into Space

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 11.11.2005, 01:14 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Check my first recorded "freakout" with my # 0069 Andromeda @

www.myspace.com/ghettopixiedust

I did the drums on a Motif Es and all other sounds are from the Andromeda. Eat your heart out!!!
Old 11.11.2005, 08:18 AM

I dont see your song 'freakout' anywhere on that page m8. You have a direct link?

DS

Old 11.11.2005, 10:48 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Hey DS, I don't have a song titled freakout. I meant freakout as in sitting down with my new gear and just going for it. There are three joints on there. I wouldn't call them songs, more or less just me turning knobs.
Old 01.12.2005, 05:01 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

I just can't get over how fat this thing is. The more I play it the nastier it gets. I recommend the A6 to anyone who wants to have endless tweaking with a real poly analog. I've learning that by using the aux outs the machine has a more pure signal. also I don't use the autotune. Can definitely sound fat like a Moog fuzzy like CS80 and lush like Oberheim