Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 24.02.2006, 02:26 AM
New here
New here

Default can't the USB cable do this?

I have posted this on KVR, and Sleepwalker has been patient with me, but I would appreciate suggestions?

In Tracktion, the usual inputs and outputs appear. VirusSynth /VirusMIDI etc. Let?s say I am using the Virus as a lone USB soundcard, so all this is via the USB cable.

Midi data via the ?VirusSynth? option? No problems. Sound from any of my VST?s? Easy. The Viruscontrol interface plays perfectly, and I can load user patches and manipulate sounds; no problems. The problems occur when I try and record [quantised] audio from the synth, even in real time.

Initially I was trying to render the ?VSTi? like the others and getting garbled sound. This I know I cannot do. I am therefore trying to record audio to a [record enabled] free track.

Midi data in [ready for quantisation and note editing], then the midi sequencer track outputs midi data back to virus synth [how?] and Virus audio flows back down the USB cable to the free audio sequencer track [how?], all at 1x playback speed.

Which of the outputs should I use for sequencer midi to synth? And which input should I use for synth audio into the sequencer?

I have tried what I see as all possible input/output combinations. In fact I have gone back to TRS cables and a USB Midi interface via my Delta 44 for now.

What I am looking for is effectively the same thing that TRS leads and the USB MIDI interface do, with one exception. When the TI is used with any USB-MIDI interface, I cannot enter sequencer USB mode. This disables viruscontrol and I cannot load user patches or manipulate sounds using the software front-end. So if I want to load a virus B patch, and record that into the sequencer, I?m stuffed. A standalone/librarian/sound-diver mode for Viruscontrol would be required.

Now this may sound noob-like, but it?s actually very frustrating. I?m a home user, I?ve read the manual [albeit poor at explaining the viruscontrol], I?m relatively experienced with MIDI and cabling troubles; this is not my first or only hardware. As a synth, the TI is worth every penny and then some. As a USB interface it seems there are teething troubles. I know that the TRS option sounds better, but I?d like to use the virus as my soundcard and remove the Delta 44, in preparation for OS1.1. Please help me!
Old 24.02.2006, 07:18 AM
Forum Saviour
Aged Veteran

I would stick with the Delta as the soundcard.

Better A/D D/A converters!
Old 25.02.2006, 08:27 AM
New here
New here

Thanks, and I may well end up doing that. Certainly TRS/USB MIDI works as advertised, no problems. It means I can't use viruscontrol though, even as a patch librarian.

But I'd still like to know how I go from using the 'virussynth' midi input into 'viruscontrol' vst, which worked fine, to recording that sound as audio, almost a 'what you hear' type affair.

Tracktion doesn't have a 'record what you hear' facility, but I've tried many different ways of outputting the viruscontrol audio [onto a free track, onto a wav file etc] but these don't seem to work.

It may well be a problem within the sequencer, perhaps a disliking for the VirusASIO driver, but before I give up on it I thought I'd ask the knowledgebase here.
Old 01.03.2006, 02:58 PM
New here
New here

Just bumping this request again, sorry..

Most forum posts seem to advocate using USB MIDI interfaces and TRS cables. Does anyone use the Virus USB audio output instead? And how do they get it to "export" its sounds back to the sequencer?

Once again, this is probably a question about sequencer/virus setup, and Tracktion may not be practical. I'd like to hear from cubase, sonar, or live users about their sequencer compatibility. If there is a setup that works, I'd consider buying that sequencer instead.

Those of you who use separate USB/Audio, how do you use viruscontrol? Or don't you?

Thanks, Dan
Old 01.03.2006, 03:50 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

See this thread and the posts from me in it.

That might help you undestand what exactly goes on inside VC/TI hardware with respect to MIDI ports under different usage conditions.

TI thread on Harmony central
Old 01.03.2006, 04:47 PM
New here
New here

Thanks Khazul. I'll look at them now.