Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 17.08.2005, 07:41 AM
This forum member lives here

Default Compressor round up!

OK as a few of you know I'm gunna be updating the PC and I thought while I'm in the process of spending money, why not spend more money.

So the outboard rack will be getting a make over with a few new compressors.

A DBX160a is a definite (really like what it does for bass, and I've wanted one for ages), but I'm not sure about which stereo compressor will meet my needs. I don't have a heap of cash and I will be buying used (buying used puts Fmr's RNC out of the running as I never see them second hand here).

I'm after something that can remain relatively transparent, but still add a certain "punch" and "characture" (specially to drum tracks) when pushed hard enough.

The choices are:
Focusrite Compounder.
DBX 166xl.
PreSonus ACP 22.
PreSonus BlueMax - seems a bit gimiky though.

Do any of you guys have any experience with any of these? Or is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 17.08.2005, 07:58 AM

Will get back to you HC...

Im off now for a Japanese dinner, any recommendations?

On the menu tonight is Pork Maki, Wafu steak, and Terriyaki fish, with some green tea and Miso soup. YUM!!!!!

I will say though, that I dont think any of the compressors you listed (except the 160) will give you the results you are after.

Jase

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 17.08.2005, 12:25 PM

Ok....

DBX? They are owned by the Harman group now.....I think. I found most DBX compressors are used in Live rigs, especially ones manufactured within the last 10 years. I have the 266XL, and all I will say about that is that it compresses. I use it when I mix live, and occasionally use it to get my levels to digital nice and healthy. it is basically crap though.

The original 160 is a classic, and used alot in live rigs of big time engineers, but the 160a is a different beast altogether. Seems like alot of people use it for their live bass rig. I dont know if it will be the same with synths.

Focusrite? Crap (Unless we are talking Red) All their new stuff is useless.

Presonus? Crap. Dont bother.

How about a Joe Meek optical compressor. Maybe a bit pricey, but then you could just fuck off the DBX 160a. Around $1500 AUD. Try:

MIXMASTERS

How about something from TL Audio? They are in the budget range, but probably better than Focusrite or Presonus. Something like a FATMAN 1. Probably around $1500 AUD NEW.

I know you know this, the whole might aswell buy something decent blah blah blah, and I know it is a different story when you just dont have the money. But yeah, you should just save more and buy one really nice stereo/dual mono compressor.

Good luck mate!

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 17.08.2005, 02:16 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Mixmasters have a TL AUDIO C1. What do you think about that as a compressor Jase?
Old 17.08.2005, 09:20 PM

Thanks Jase.

Yeah, I kind of know about the whole hold out to get something better route - specially with compression. But I really don't have a heap of cash. I know where there is a great deal on 160s, but since the kid has popped out I can't spend the extra.

I looked at the TL and also FMR stuff, but I will be buying used and those two brands just don't show up here used. I'll be heading home in the next few weeks, so maybe I'll have a look there too.

Keep the comments coming though fellas.

EDIT:
Quote:
Im off now for a Japanese dinner, any recommendations?
I always get Agadashi-Tofu when I head out.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 17.08.2005, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grs
Mixmasters have a TL AUDIO C1. What do you think about that as a compressor Jase?
I have never used one, but I expect it would be alot nicer than the current Ivory range.

If I had the cash, I would probably buy it....

I think TL Audio was started with one of the old Neve designers, and the Classic series are in their High-end. If you are on the lookout for something that will add colour and warmth, then this would be a good buy.

$1300 AUD seems like an OK deal, and the Mixmasters guys are pretty trustworthy. You should give them a call.

Just for drool factor:

JLM Audio

Old 18.08.2005, 01:31 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
I looked at the TL and also FMR stuff, but I will be buying used and those two brands just don't show up here used. I'll be heading home in the next few weeks, so maybe I'll have a look there too.
Is there a reason you must buy used? The FMR is cheap enough that even new it's not gonna kill you. The sound is almost on par with my Focusrite Red, I think it definitely blows away anything until you get into the $1000+ category.
Old 18.08.2005, 04:46 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedee
Quote:
Originally Posted by grs
I have never used one, but I expect it would be alot nicer than the current Ivory range.

If I had the cash, I would probably buy it....

I think TL Audio was started with one of the old Neve designers, and the Classic series are in their High-end. If you are on the lookout for something that will add colour and warmth, then this would be a good buy.

$1300 AUD seems like an OK deal, and the Mixmasters guys are pretty trustworthy. You should give them a call.

Just for drool factor:

JLM Audio
Yes, I have bought from them before - a Langevin Dual mono mic pre.
They even helped out with a broken switch by arranging the parts, labor and reshipping.
Old 18.08.2005, 05:05 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

Ok this might come as a suprise.

What about buying software! 8O
UAD1 with clasic compressor and eq boundle,is it realy importent for you hollow to run everything in analog via your desk?
Old 18.08.2005, 08:19 PM
Pro
Pro

You have to put alot of money on an external hardware compressor to match the sound quality of UAD1's compressors. I have a cheap project pak + LA2A & Fairchild 670 and they sound great. Even the 1176SE sounds great and needs very little of dsp power. I am still going to invest on 1176LN and Roland Dimension D, when it comes out.