Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 30.03.2006, 07:44 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Default Active monitors

I'm in the market for a new pair of active monitors, nothing mega-expensive, but good enough for getting ideas onto a digital multitrack unit in the rehersal space.
There's so many floating about these days, I don't have enough hours in the day to read all the reviews, so I'm going to ask you guys for your recommendations, especially those based on actual use/experience.

Cheers in advance.
Old 30.03.2006, 08:46 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Dynaudio have an awesome sound at a reasonable price, if you can stretch it the BM6As are great.

Also the new Genelec 80xx range are pukka also. 8040s are definately worth checking out.

ten
Old 30.03.2006, 11:17 AM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

for a small room the dynaudio bm5a will suit better then the 6a imo.

both are amazing set of speakers\monitors...

dont be confused by the 5 and 6 marking,both models are 6.5` woofer.

also i would advice you to check out the Adam anf10+alesis Ra 150\300 power amp and if you can afford it,the P11s.
Old 30.03.2006, 11:52 AM

Any sort of price range you can give us? Monitors can be as cheap or as expensive as you want...

On the low end, I'd vote for the Alesis M1 Actives, on the high end Mackie 824's, or 624's if your space is smaller. BM6's are also excellent monitors if your room is big enough.
Old 30.03.2006, 12:16 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

trying not to spend more than ?600(roughly Euro900/$1100) for a pair, as its not for mixdown purposes, but they have to be fairly loud and relatively accurate.

A reasonable bass response would not go amiss, I don't like sub-woofers much, but I want to avoid the "one-note" bass response of small monitors.

Just looking at www.turnkey.co.uk there seems to be a resonable choice, the Rockits get a reasonable review in soundonsound, yankee speakers to boot !!
Old 30.03.2006, 12:18 PM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

If somewhere in the middle: Event TR series - TR8XLs are good for the money, but if they have one failing - they seem a little over sensitive to their environment (ie bass traps, proper stands etc will make a hell of a difference) and the bass sweet spot is suprisingly small in some environments.

They are however vey pleasent and unflattering mionitors to work with/listen to for hours on end.
Old 30.03.2006, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Active monitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threlly
I'm in the market for a new pair of active monitors, nothing mega-expensive, but good enough for getting ideas onto a digital multitrack unit in the rehersal space.
If this is the only purpose, I wouldnt take the others advice and be getting Dynaudios/Genelecs/Mackies/Events

I wouldnt normally recommend Behringer gear, but a pair of truths might do the job, and they are cheap, and have a enhanced low-end. Either that or a pair of small PA speakers. This is ONLY in the case that you refer to. If you want them for other purposes, might be worth looking into something from the other brands mentioned

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 30.03.2006, 01:06 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Tannoy Precision 8D Active Studio Monitor should be a cheap and great way to go imo.
I'm using the reveal actives and they are really good for me. I reckon the percision are even better
Old 31.03.2006, 10:22 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

if your not going to mix on them i just dont see a reason to spend that 1 grand.
behringer truth's are excelent for their price range,the active pair goes for around 299$ i think.