Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 31.01.2015, 12:36 PM
Newborn
Newborn

Default Tuning the virus with pitchbend.

Hi there,

I'm looking to tune my virus a bit differently. with different temperament (Equal temperament is so lame).

Here's what I did in ableton. I send different pitch bend to different channel in the multi mode. But the thing is it doesn't seem quite right. Compared to my guitar for example.

I was thinking maybe it's because the virus tuning system is not in cent? Am i right? the virus has a different tuning system, (not in cent but, in whatever they call it)

Anyway. Did the pitch bend value is also different because of that? The max plug in is working well with my other synth so..

By the way, Wha'ts the value of 1 "Virus tuning" compared to 1 "cent" ?

Last question is there a way to copy paste the same patch on and on in the multi mode? Also how do I see if I used to much DSP in the multi mode?

Thanks by advance,

Damien.
Old 31.01.2015, 06:25 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Hi Damien, I'm unable to load up Virus Control at the mo, reinstalling Windows 8.1, so unable to see if you are able to tune voice pitch in cents. But if the tuning uses standard midi values from 0-127, where you have used a value of 127 to denote a bend of one full semitone (+100 cents), then each value will be 100/127 = 0.7874Hz. Alternatively if pitch bend uses a range of -/+64, then each value would be 1.5748Hz. Just guessing here, haven't tested this.

I'm unsure what undesired effects you're getting though, other than 'it doesn't seem right, compared to your guitar'.

However, if you're experiencing a slightly laggy smoothing pitch-bending effect, rather than instantaneous pitch changes, you will also need to turn SmoothMode 'Off' (or possibly to 'Note') in the Common section of the Oscillator menu. This will eliminate the almost 'portamento effect' that the SmoothMode algorithms employ to smooth MIDI zipper aliasing when modulating pitchbend or indeed any values, so you may expect slight zippering when doing sliding pitch or knob automations like other digital synths normally do.

On this, the manual says:
Quote:
Smooth Mode
This is an adaptive parameter smoothing mode (Adaptive Control Smoothing).
• Off: Adaptive Control Smoothing is disabled and parameter changes are carried out incrementally without smoothing.
• On: Adaptive Control Smoothing is enabled and parameter changes are smooth.
• Auto: Adaptive Control Smoothing analyzes the characteristics of the incoming parameter changes and carries these out either continuously (smoothed) or incrementally.
• Note: Adaptive Control Smoothing is carried out continuously (smoothed), but jumps in steps when a new note is played.
Separately, bear in mind that if you use pitchbend with polyphonic patches, any pitching will also affect any previous notes if they have long amp releases and overlap. Akin to pitching a whole sample, rather than individual notes.

Also bear in mind the Virus in tempered mode emulates random analog drift. This is a small detune of around -/+5 cents per voice. Unsure if this is critical for your usage. You can use PureTuning to eliminate this, but this involves a whole new micro-tuning system of its own when playing multiple notes at the same time.