Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 28.04.2015, 09:45 AM
New here
New here

Default Tutorial - Creating a nice lead sound

Hi,

In this tutorial I will show you how to create
a nice lead sound on Virus TI.
The sound was created especially for this tutorial.

Video URL: https://youtu.be/dfmFF8KlkuM

Regards,
Akiro.
Old 29.04.2015, 11:41 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiro View Post
Hi,

In this tutorial I will show you how to create
a nice lead sound on Virus TI.
The sound was created especially for this tutorial.

Video URL: https://youtu.be/dfmFF8KlkuM

Regards,
Akiro.
A tutorial means you are supposed to explain what it is you are doing & trying to achieve. This is just clowning around with the TI software which anyone can do. Not surprised the likes/dislikes are disabled
Old 30.04.2015, 11:50 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Have to give it to you Berni! Almost chocked laughing!
Old 01.05.2015, 01:07 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
Have to give it to you Berni! Almost chocked laughing!
Yeah it is pretty funny...not sure why he thought he could get away with this bullshit on a forum full of Virus owners, lol. Obviously they are not that advanced in his cosmos
Old 01.05.2015, 01:15 AM
This forum member lives here

Well I do admit that some discussion or explanation would make the video a bit more helpful, but some folks may be in regions where their English level or accent might actually do more harm than good. Most Virus users probably know what the knobs he's turning do already I think.

Above all though, I don't think we should discourage folks from making sound sets for the Virus or any other synth. Gotta get the word out some way when you're in the business of sound design. He's also made free sounds that are on Access' website. Not like he's spamming some irrelevant crap or anything. The Ultranova is an example of a great instrument that suffers because nobody makes sounds for it. Be thankful that's not a problem on the Virus.
Old 02.05.2015, 03:49 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
Well I do admit that some discussion or explanation would make the video a bit more helpful, but some folks may be in regions where their English level or accent might actually do more harm than good. Most Virus users probably know what the knobs he's turning do already I think.

Above all though, I don't think we should discourage folks from making sound sets for the Virus or any other synth. Gotta get the word out some way when you're in the business of sound design. He's also made free sounds that are on Access' website. Not like he's spamming some irrelevant crap or anything. The Ultranova is an example of a great instrument that suffers because nobody makes sounds for it. Be thankful that's not a problem on the Virus.
Not going to argue with you, the world loves a trier but if this is your programming skill level on the virus you shouldn't be making tutorials you should be watching them.
Old 02.05.2015, 12:04 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Have to agree here. It's some sort of new trend. Everyone seems to feel like they're good enough to be making tutorials after fiddling a bit with some new instrument, software or just about anything. Some of them even manage to get an healthy legion of followers despite the obvious lack of proper knowledge - as anyone with a bit of honest experience on this can attest; but nowadays it's all about the numbers, you might even get some publicity contracts for your channel based on view counts and subscribers alone.

Old 02.05.2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
Not going to argue with you, the world loves a trier but if this is your programming skill level on the virus you shouldn't be making tutorials you should be watching them.
What if you're already selling sound banks for the Virus (as he is) and would like to use Youtube for the same reason most people do, to get exposure to your product?

Just my opinion, but I think the approach is valid.
Old 02.05.2015, 03:27 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
Have to agree here. It's some sort of new trend. Everyone seems to feel like they're good enough to be making tutorials after fiddling a bit with some new instrument, software or just about anything. Some of them even manage to get an healthy legion of followers despite the obvious lack of proper knowledge - as anyone with a bit of honest experience on this can attest; but nowadays it's all about the numbers, you might even get some publicity contracts for your channel based on view counts and subscribers alone.

Totally agree with you, I have seen some seriously misinformed 'tutorials' on Live & the Mashine recently. I'm pretty sure they hadn't got half way through the manual when they decided to share there wealth of ignorance with the world.
Old 02.05.2015, 04:39 PM

No doubt, there's plenty of crap out there -- one of the joys of the Internet.

I've always said, never trust any form of "training" unless it's either provided by the product vendor (info from the source), or it's paid training. Nobody does GOOD training out of the goodness of their heart, because good training is a lot of work.

Youtube is fertile ground for a lot of folks who want to spread their wings into training but don't quite have a grip on it all yet. Gotta learn somewhere.

At least this guy has proven he does know how to make sounds. Perhaps not in that particular video, and yes the craft of explaining to others could use some refinement to be sure. But when you think about all of the universities out there that are full of professors who are teaching how to succeed in the real world, without ever having worked outside academia themselves, then when you see someone with hands on knowledge trying to share it, I don't think they are the worst of all evils.

I've seen guys publish elaborate training courses on software development kits that are very convincing, and leave you walking away with the feeling that you've learned a lot, yet they themselves cannot name one single piece of software they've ever developed, much less published using that kit.

Reminds me of the old saying: "Those who can, do. The rest teach".