Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Old 16.03.2013, 05:05 AM
Pro
Pro

After watching Depeche Mode, I too had an audio stroll down memory lane and dug into my 400+ CDs and started playing Skinny Puppy, Front Line Assembly, OMD (did you know OMD has a new CD coming out in April?) [Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark for younger crowd-FYI] Then Ultravox...oh my, call me old (will be 50 this year), but some of my fondest memories are of the 80's and when I when stationed in USAF at Keflavik, Iceland for a year and half (my choice, as I love geological stuff and wild weather with New Zealand being my next vacation hopefully), and whilst in downtown Reykjavik, Iceland, there was a free concert at this open square that non other, The Sugarcubes (Bjork), before they had even released USA CD...and I still love her voice and layered sounds. I also literally ran into Souixie and The Banshies one late night stuck in Philidelphia in midst of a garbage/sanitation worker's strike, where trash was pilled up everywhere, had missed my flight, so was out on town...cool times...and Depeche Mode is still very relevant and can PACK HUGE arenas ANYWHERE they tour...if they come here I am sure to get ticket and finally see them live...now, where's that black leather skydiving suit and eyeliner at again? Just where I left it last!!
Old 16.03.2013, 05:12 AM
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
Depeche Mode is still very relevant and can PACK HUGE arenas ANYWHERE they tour...if they come here I am sure to get ticket and finally see them live...now, where's that black leather skydiving suit and eyeliner at again? Just where I left it last!!
As I was watching that earlier video, I was amazed at how DM was able to play such a small venue as the Letterman show at the Ed Sullivan Theatre in NYC and act like it was just par for the course. That is an extremely small venue for them, and I think folks have to wait to get tickets to Letterman, but ultimately pay zero for the tickets themselves to sit in on that audience (not including the expensive hotels and restaurants of the area to stay there of course).

I remember seeing the documentary 101 about Depeche Mode... They sold out the freakin' Rose Bowl Stadium.. 60,000 people in the crowd that night just to see them!!

The folks who were in the Letterman audience that night were some very lucky people, and I don't mean that as a dig at Dave, because in his field of satire, he is equally as epic as DM is to music. They were lucky people all the way around. Kind of a shame Mayor Bloomberg was the guest that night, lol.... On the nights following they had Steve Carrell and Jim Carrey, both of whom were freakin hilarious.
Old 17.03.2013, 10:56 PM
Pro
Pro

Here's a great bit of video of Depeche Mode's "Sounds of The Universe" tour, probably the closest to the Virus Ti's one will see of their set-up and having discovered that youtube channel, The Virus Channel, it seems, there's some really other cool Virus and Depeche Mode related stuff on there...very good PR for Access http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zomJg_odX4
Old 17.03.2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Here's a great bit of video of Depeche Mode's "Sounds of The Universe" tour, probably the closest to the Virus Ti's one will see of their set-up and having discovered that youtube channel, The Virus Channel, it seems, there's some really other cool Virus and Depeche Mode related stuff on there...very good PR for Access http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zomJg_odX4

How would you like to be the guy that tunes Martin's guitars for him? Did you see how many different guitars he went through just during the 45 minute Letterman set? I lost count! lol
Old 18.03.2013, 12:53 AM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
How would you like to be the guy that tunes Martin's guitars for him? Did you see how many different guitars he went through just during the 45 minute Letterman set? I lost count! lol
I know! Been trying to find the source and think it was some back issue of keyboard Magazine, where am *almost* certain that Martin was primarily a guitar player and when Vince or was it Andy(?) left early-on, Martin needed to move more to synths to fill void...until find source, not certain. Do you recall ever seeing Dave Gahan playing synth or otherwise (other than his fraking fantastic voice/instrument)?
Old 18.03.2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I know! Been trying to find the source and think it was some back issue of keyboard Magazine, where am *almost* certain that Martin was primarily a guitar player and when Vince or was it Andy(?) left early-on, Martin needed to move more to synths to fill void...until find source, not certain. Do you recall ever seeing Dave Gahan playing synth or otherwise (other than his fraking fantastic voice/instrument)?
Hmm.. not sure, but the very early DM stuff was all synth, and I don't think they used a guitar on a DM record until Music for the Masses. I know Martin and Vince had a band before DM (a little research indicates they cited The Cure as the influence for that band). Martin may have been a guitarist prior to DM, but I was thinking that he was not (possibly wrong). I believe Vince was indeed a guitarist in the early days, supposedly Fletch was too. I don't ever remember seeing Gahan play an instrument, but as you say his contribution to their sound has never been in question.
Old 18.03.2013, 10:08 PM
Pro
Pro

I DO recall Dave having a tambourine in-hand on some footage from Depeche Mode 101 or from those early days when MTV actually meant MUSIC Tele-Vision, rather than "reality-frakin-this"...sour note for me because I ALSO enjoy *great SciFi* and whomever must have purchased parent company that had the SciFi Cable Channel Network, decided to cancel even re-runs of Dr. Who, let alone a creative series, and was responsible for canceling even the newer Battle Star Galactica in midst of it's 4th season when the story was really developing...and now, the even have ghost hunting this (Blair Witch moving camera around-making-one-want-to-heave), AND WRESTLING!!!??? On SciFI???? Same goes for MTV or the other one--they have gone this way of entertainment for walking meatheads! Sorry...kind of had a few synapse snap there in a rant!
So yes, have seen Dave doing the tambourine thing along with that beautiful voice!
Old 26.03.2013, 04:25 AM

Getting back to Radiohead for a moment, I don't know if you get Palladia (music cable channel, I guess its the new MTV). They've got a show on there right now as I type this, "Radiohead : King of Limbs". I can definitely relate to what you were saying about Thom Yorke's voice on certain tunes. Some of their tunes can get *REALLY* abstract....a little too much for my liking... and there were times I wanted to change the channel because of his singing. Yet on other songs he sings great. Odd.
Old 26.03.2013, 01:49 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
Getting back to Radiohead for a moment, I don't know if you get Palladia (music cable channel, I guess its the new MTV). They've got a show on there right now as I type this, "Radiohead : King of Limbs". I can definitely relate to what you were saying about Thom Yorke's voice on certain tunes. Some of their tunes can get *REALLY* abstract....a little too much for my liking... and there were times I wanted to change the channel because of his singing. Yet on other songs he sings great. Odd.
Yeah, kind of like a cat being stepped-on with cleats!
Old 26.03.2013, 02:50 PM
Pro
Pro

Have a listen to In Rainbows. A seriously deep record that is by far my favourite Radiohead album, and probably in the top ten all times for me. I really admire their ability to construct songs that shift and move through different sonic and emotional space without sounding disconnected or contrived.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nTFjVm9sTQ lovely clip also.

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/