Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 31.08.2010, 01:40 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Default New, free, open-source Virus A/B/C/Classic VSTi/AU editor interface

Hi there

I'm busy developing a Virus editor that'll run standalone or as a VSTi, based on the Ctrlr project. I've just finished the first release of my Novation Supernova II controller, which handles most CCs and lots of critical NRPNs; I'm also using a stable build of my Virus B editor in Ableton and Renoise. Other controllers are available to download too, if you want to try them with other hardware.

I'll update this thread when there's a public beta ready for testing. When the Ctrlr codebase gets full patch librarian capabilities (not 100% there yet), I'll implement that too. It's also worth noting that atom (the main Ctrlr dev) is working on making it so that people can tweak their controllers without having to compile the C++ and all that rubbish, which means it'll soon be even easier for people to go nuts on getting exactly what they want

Anyway, as well as easy computer-based patch editing, the other huge advantage is exposing internal CC/sysex parameters to sequencers for automation - stuff like Ableton Live, for instance, which is colossally shit at all things midi/sysex/external hardware related, plays happy with this. (I do use Ableton Live, by the way, alongside other stuff, so I made this controller mainly as a result of my own bad experiences).

I've looked at some commercial editors, and it seems some of them don't let you select MIDI ports from within the VST, which is fine if you only have one set of MIDI I/O and also have one of the few DAWs they support...but not so good if you use Renoise, Ableton, or various others which do MIDI differently. I've got about six MIDI I/O on various devices, so it's no problem to load my VSTi, assign I/O to, say, a Midisport 2x2, then treat the hardware just like it was a virtual instrument, with audio coming through on a different track.

UPDATE: first release builds are up for Windows (VSTi .dll and standalone .exe)! Mac OSX builds due to be uploaded tomorrow.

ALL FEEDBACK/BUG-REPORTS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

http://ctrlr.org/page.php?p=download

Last edited by crayolon : 27.09.2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: major project update
Old 04.09.2010, 12:10 PM
New here
New here

Sounds like a great idea, but sad for me it's not designed for the virus C. I would like to do some beta testing instead
Old 05.09.2010, 10:17 AM
Complete Newbie

It's probably not a hard job to copy/paste/tweak to make a C version, so I'll have a look at that when I get a chance. Of course, as you say, I'll need a beta tester as I don't have a C myself If you could keep an eye on this thread and maybe do some testing, I'd appreciate it!
Old 06.09.2010, 01:51 PM
Newborn
Newborn

I have a Virus C too. I'd be quite happy to test for you as Im looking for an editor that supports OS X 10.5.8
Old 20.09.2010, 07:24 PM
Newborn
Newborn

Hi Crayolon,

I have a Virus C as well. Let me know if you need any testing.

-Matthew
Old 21.09.2010, 08:29 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayolon View Post
It's probably not a hard job to copy/paste/tweak to make a C version, so I'll have a look at that when I get a chance. Of course, as you say, I'll need a beta tester as I don't have a C myself If you could keep an eye on this thread and maybe do some testing, I'd appreciate it!
ofcourse, I'm always up to do some beta testing... however I'm still a Virus rookie.
Old 21.09.2010, 08:36 PM
Complete Newbie

Thanks chaps. Atom, the main Ctrlr dev is overhauling the core code and will commit his changes to the SVN overnight. I'll update my Virus build tomorrow and post back with a link when it's ready for testing.

As far as I know, I can only build Windows (and maybe Linux) versions, standalone exe or VSTi. Atom can build for OSX, so I'll try to get him to do one for me tomorrow as well.
Old 27.09.2010, 08:40 PM
Complete Newbie

Update - the first release of this is online! Windows VSTi .dll and standalone .exe are available for download, while an OSX download will be available tomorrow.

I'd appreciate feedback particularly from C owners who can tell me whether the EQ section I've added works on their devices - 8 new controls whose respective purposes should be self-evident.

I'd also love feedback from A users who might be able to tell me whether this works in the slightest for them - I haven't even gone through the A manuals yet, so I make no promises, but if some of the controls are identical it may work...

http://ctrlr.org/page.php?p=download