Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08.05.2014, 08:36 PM
Veteran
Veteran

I fail to see how him being able to play the piano or not is relevant. He's clearly able to both compose and produce his music, and his music does actually show that he knows his music theory...

A musician isn't just someone who can perform with an instrument. Many times the best performers are not good writers and the other way around. With Electronic Music it's always more about composition then live performance, and people are praised for what they can do within the realm of sound and music (yes, the two combined) rather then just for their clever usage of scales and harmonies, or their keyboard playing skills. Isn't that so? I'm sorry to say I don't see much of a point. A producer is someone who can put things together, but doesn't necessarily have the creativity to come up with something on his own. That's what a producer is. This isn't the case. He's a musician, a producer, he also does all the engineering involved in his music from mixing to mastering. He's the whole deal. He knows audio and music inside out, like those behind all successful Electronic Music acts do. That's what it takes. If you ask me, I think most of this guys, even when they're kids making annoying music that just happens to be what's currently driving people nuts in clubs and outdoor festivals, are much more proficient about what they do then previous generations of musicians, where some of them couldn't compose a song on their own, can't perform or understand the other instruments that were part of the band, couldn't produce, mix and master their own music without hiring professionals to do it for them; so in a way, they were less educated and needed much more assistance to produce their music then Skrillex (or any such acts) - even the Doors.