Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 25.01.2006, 10:02 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
1) Minimoog
2) ION
3) Minimoog
4) ION
Well at least I didn't do worse than chance
Old 25.01.2006, 10:30 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Poor old Onkel.
Old 25.01.2006, 10:48 PM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

I had thought it was a drom not a moog

Oh well - at least I got them the right way round - lol

OK - so whos got a moog and and TI to do the same?
Old 26.01.2006, 06:18 AM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo
Poor old Onkel.
I?m not old Maybe deaf though

http://www.myspace.com/onkeldunkeldk
Old 26.01.2006, 10:11 AM

Unless any of you have used true analog....then of course....its to be expected that you cant tell the difference. When listening to the clips....dont base your judgments on the fallacy that true analog sounds warmer and fatter. In some cases it does....but more and more softsynths and VA's can match and superceed an analogs girth. The real difference still lies in the finesse and presence/bite of analog. If you listen to the clips again (would be better with wav files and not mp3) then you should conclude that no current VA or softsynth can offer the same presence and bite. If your listening to true analog and va side by side through decent monitors...the difference is unmistakable. People like me still believe that this quality is what lends a track a certain je ne sais quoi quality. This is the holy grail for software developers.....

Of course.....at the end of the day this is a matter of taste - just like a wine connoisseur probably wouldnt get much enjoyment out of a ?2 bottle table wine. Is it all in the head? Personally i dont think so....their are differences....and these differences do exist. Some people are more finely tuned to pick up these differences.....and thats all it is

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 26.01.2006, 10:38 AM

I think it's always hard ot tell in recordings actually. Although a nice slow filter sweep always spills the beens. But put me in a room blindfolded with all the synths in question plugged into an analogue desk, then it's pretty damn easy.

PS. The ION isn't a bad sounding synth but....No matter which side of the fence you're sitting on.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 26.01.2006, 11:44 AM

Well yeah HC...I do kinda agree with you. I think one of the reasons why early analog synth use (70's and 80's) is easier to spot is because for the most part, they were also recording in analog. This has a big effect. Recording analog synths within the digital demain definitely curtails any 'improvement' the analog synth might have had over a digital counterpart....

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 28.01.2006, 05:13 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

I have an Sequential Circuits Pro-One and a Virus Indigo, when designing low end basses and 4 pole low pass filtering both of them side by side, the difference is astounding. The Pro One sounds so much deeper and fatter and has a nice grind/grit to it when filter sweeping. The Virus has alot of bass but it feels/sounds very hard, heavily compressed and too clean/smooth sounding. I must admit im NOT a fan of the way the bottom end in the Virus sounds. I prefer it for its clean/sharp mid range sound when bandpass filter sweeping.

Listen to the SCI Pro One bass in

ED-Rush & Optical - Alien Girl
ED-Rush & Optical - Funktion

now get that sound out of a Virus haha
Old 28.01.2006, 10:13 AM

Another Pro-One user hurray. Looks like its just me and you....everyone else loves their fat 'n' warm soft shits...i mean soft synths...

DS

Old 28.01.2006, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
Another Pro-One user hurray. Looks like its just me and you....everyone else loves their fat 'n' warm soft shits...i mean soft synths...

DS
everyone???? Eh-hem....

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60