Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 05.01.2009, 05:21 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulkeeley View Post
btw, if anyone is interested, here's the test project i put together in Ableton Live 7 along with the single patch in sysex format:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=e...db6fb9a8902bda

for each test, i simply changed the oscillator type of OSC1. in the recorded audio you'll notice how OSC1 drifts out of time from OSC2 (which is just a simple classic sawtooth).

i'd be very interested to know if any of you experience the same thing with your synths.

cheers,
paul.
Hi Paul,

I had a listen. I can hear from your audio what you are saying. I'm more logic based and I set up a similar test using your patch. With just those 4 chords and changing oscillators I have to say it sounded more accurate than your file... Was this played originally in VC or via midi?
Old 05.01.2009, 07:59 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Smile

Totty! do you have Mac or do you have the old Logic for PC?

Can you please test the Virus TI with MIDI?

Thanks!

I shurley hope that the TI performs better with Mac and Logic Pro? if not, it is bad horsepower=old horses it may be!?
Old 05.01.2009, 08:37 PM
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totty View Post
Hi Paul,

I had a listen. I can hear from your audio what you are saying. I'm more logic based and I set up a similar test using your patch. With just those 4 chords and changing oscillators I have to say it sounded more accurate than your file... Was this played originally in VC or via midi?
thanks for giving this a go Totty - i haven't tried the test yet in Logic - i assumed (possibly incorrectly) that the MIDI timing between Ableton and Logic would be the same - i'm predominantly a Logic user myself.

i recorded the notes in realtime and then quantized them to 16th notes within Ableton. i'm running an iMac C2D 2.16ghz so horsepower shouldn't be an issue there.

i'll give it a shot tonight within Logic and see if that makes any difference whatsoever.

cheers,
Paul.
Old 06.01.2009, 02:25 AM
Complete Newbie

ok, i tried the exact same MIDI clip in Logic 8, and i'm still getting the same note drift.

here's the Logic project if anyone's interested in trying it out further:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=9...db6fb9a8902bda

cheers,
Paul.
Old 06.01.2009, 02:42 AM
Complete Newbie

aaaaaaand since i clearly haven't posted enough today on this topic, i've made a bit of a breakthrough.

in VC mode, everything is rock solid. it's only in MIDI standalone mode where the timing goes to hell and back. again, no problems with my other synths whatsoever using the same MIDI interface(s), cables, etc.

so, it must simply be the way the TI is handling MIDI input info. or at least that seems to be the case with mine.

hope this helps in any way, however insignificant.

cheers,
Paul.
Old 06.01.2009, 05:29 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivion View Post
Totty! do you have Mac or do you have the old Logic for PC?

Can you please test the Virus TI with MIDI?

Thanks!

I shurley hope that the TI performs better with Mac and Logic Pro? if not, it is bad horsepower=old horses it may be!?
Hi Oblivion, I'm on a Mac with the latest OS on Osx and VC and Logic 8.02.

I think Paul has just answered the issue below, it seems midi timing is worse - which it should be as the VC is supposed to be sample accurate.
Old 06.01.2009, 05:34 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulkeeley View Post
aaaaaaand since i clearly haven't posted enough today on this topic, i've made a bit of a breakthrough.

in VC mode, everything is rock solid. it's only in MIDI standalone mode where the timing goes to hell and back. again, no problems with my other synths whatsoever using the same MIDI interface(s), cables, etc.

so, it must simply be the way the TI is handling MIDI input info. or at least that seems to be the case with mine.

hope this helps in any way, however insignificant.

cheers,
Paul.
Hi Paul, sounds like you have made a breakthrough I'm downloading your Logic file and will have a go here too. From what I know the VC timestamps midi events so the timing should be accurate on VC, However as you say, your other midi synths don't exhibit this problem.

I will also try a midi connection to my TI, may take me a few days as I'm set up very minimally at the moment, so I'll have to dust off my AMT8 and Motu in the attic

Best regards

Michael
Old 06.01.2009, 12:00 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Smile

Very interesting thread!

I hope Access is reading this.
Old 06.01.2009, 01:40 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Yes it is! I'm conscious that there may be 2 separate issues are here.

1: The Midi Timing of the Virus TI as a standalone midi Synth.
2: The issue I mentioned regarding heavy patches and fast modulation/envelopes tripping up the sound.

I'm inclined to think they may be one of the same. I'm speculating here but if there are DSP resource issues as a standard midi synth this could be alleviated to an extent by loosening the sound reaction time so that lots of notes don't start exactly together. I know midi is a serial protocol and no 2 notes can sound exactly together, but by reducing reaction time would give the hardware more processing time (not good!).

With Virus Control the data has to appear out sample accurately apparently. This would disallow the theory above, but since I have experienced these modulation and envelope discrepancies, that could also be as a result of DSP resources lacking.

I'm happy to be proven wrong - in fact I hope I'm wrong, because as it stands I don't feel I can make a complex sound and have it play back correctly unless I'm using only one channel.

Last edited by Totty : 06.01.2009 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06.01.2009, 01:48 PM
Complete Newbie

hey all - once again, another development on my end. with the patch in question, running in MIDI standalone mode, i noticed that if i adjust the amplifier envelope release time to 20, where there is no note overlap, the timing is relatively tight. not as tight as VC mode, but much tighter than before. however when i bump it up to 36, where there is slight note overlap, the timing goes awry. yet another clue that it may be the way the virus is handling note information and note stealing.

i've sent this latest development to Access support. hopefully they can shed some light on the subject. if anyone has a chance to try the same out on their setup it would be greatly appreciated. if this isn't just an issue with my virus, then this is something hopefully Access can fix.

cheers,
Paul.