Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 12.08.2005, 06:14 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Send a message via MSN to obliterations
Default Setting up your Mac

OK, I just bought a:

Apple G5 Power Mac Desktop Computer
(Dual 2GHz, 512MB RAM, 160GB HD with SuperDrive)
(Im picking it up today, but the monitor wont be here for a week)

I've been running OS9 for years on a Lonbard Power book (XLR8ed to G4) and I wanna get with the times. I havent had a lot of cash, so this has been a difficult move.

Since I dont have the $$ to upgrade and add a media drive (just yet), I will be stuck partitoning the one it comes with. I will be using Logic Audio 7.
So heres my question...

How much drive space do I need for the "System" partition?

I have to admit I havent used OSX, so Im not familiar with the best way to partition out the drive. I "Think" the System partition should hold all the software like "Peak" and "Logic 7" Or is it best to create a partion to hold the Apps And another partion to hold the System software?

Any tips you may have to help things run better would be great.

...And yes I know Ram is going to be the first thing I wanna add to this machine.

Thanks!
Logic 7.1.1
Old 12.08.2005, 11:53 PM
This forum member lives here

Mmmmmm.....G5

I ended up getting a 2nd 80Gb internal HD for my audio files, and am using the other HD for OS and all appz. You might want to try something like that if you can afford it.

But yeah, generally I think OS and appz on one partition, and audio files and projects on the other partition. I did come across a tutorial for optimizing OSX for audio, I will try and find it for ya.

You will love the G5, they are solid machines!

I havent upgraded to Tiger yet though, dont think I will cos it will mean having to buy new software/upgrades, and I just dont trust Tiger atm

Good luck!

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 13.08.2005, 06:17 AM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedee
Mmmmmm.....G5
I did come across a tutorial for optimizing OSX for audio, I will try and find it for ya.
That would be great. Any info helps. I do plan on getting a second drive, but that wont be for a month or two.
Logic 7.1.1
Old 13.08.2005, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedee
I did come across a tutorial for optimizing OSX for audio, I will try and find it for ya.
It was published in electronic musician magazine. CHeck these two sites.

http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_tracking_big_cats/

http://www.bigbluelounge.com/forums/...=11403&start=0
Old 13.08.2005, 07:24 AM

Cheers Merlot!

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 13.08.2005, 11:23 AM
Pro
Pro

I have 2x 250GB Hitachi Deskstar SATA disks. The system partition is 30GB but I suggest that you save at least 40-50GB for it. I have about 8-10GB free space on system and because OSX and applications use very much virtual memory (altough you had lots of RAM) some people have suggested that the system partition should always have at least 5GB of free space or even more. 10GB is a good amount.

About all programs need to be installed on system partition and cannot even be installed on other drives. Logic and about all apple stuff goes to system partition so prepare that you have enough space left there. I have managed my EXS24 samples so that I have first installed them in the default exs24 sampler instruments -folder but then made aliases of them and moved the real samples to my audio disk. So only the exs-files are located on system partition and they use the samples from another partition. If you don't want to use aliases of your samples, make the system partition even larger. Soundtrack Pro's included apple loops can be installed on another disk.

Partitioning the disk is very easy with the OSX installer DVD. The disk utility can be found in the upper menus.
Old 13.08.2005, 05:10 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D
I have 2x 250GB Hitachi Deskstar SATA disks. The system partition is 30GB but I suggest that you save at least 40-50GB

If you don't want to use aliases of your samples, make the system partition even larger. Soundtrack Pro's included apple loops can be installed on another disk.
What do you think about having a seperate Partition for sounds and samples? Would that slow things down or is it best to have them on the system disk?

This is what Im thinking...

System disk 40 gigs
sound disk 20 gigs
media disk 100 gigs

total 160 gigs.

thanks for the response!
Logic 7.1.1
Old 13.08.2005, 09:31 PM
Pro
Pro

I guess, if you're using the very same hard disk for every partition, there's maybe no sense partitioning it into so many pieces. I would make a 40GB system and the rest for audio & media. You need another real hard disk for your audio files if you need more hard disk speed. I guess you wouldn't see any difference using different partitions compared to folders on the same partition for media and audio. The data on the disks won't fragment very easily or at all.