Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 02.05.2009, 06:59 PM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Default CC Assignments

Could someone tell me if the Virus has fixed CC's assigned to all of its controls? I want to know if its possible to use a separate midi controller to access functions that normally require use of the Shift button. I'm trying to decide if it would be better to buy the full keyboard version or just get the desktop version and use a separate controller keyboard.
Old 02.05.2009, 10:54 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Keyboard and Polar have the same front panel as Desktop + pitch/modulation wheels.
Old 03.05.2009, 12:20 AM
New here

I realize they all have the same panel. I'm wondering if programing the Virus can be made easier by using a separate midi controller with its own knobs and faders in addition to the controls on the Virus. I ask because I've heard there are some parameters that can't be adjusted while playing the keyboard because they require holding the shift button while turning a knob. If those parameters can be controlled by knobs on a separate midi controller that leaves one hand free for the keyboard.

I'm trying to decide whether I should buy the Virus keyboard and sell my midi keyboard, or just buy the Virus desktop instead.
Old 03.05.2009, 01:45 AM
Very mucho Newbie

not every function has a cc #. Some controls are only accessible via sysex data. It is possible to map these to a midi controller -> see my post regarding Novation Remote templates.
Old 03.05.2009, 11:27 AM
Very mucho Newbie

To elaborate a bit on what was posted above, all parameters in the Virus can be accessed via SysEx, or at least that was true up through Virus C. There is a document somewhere on this forum (and from Access also) that lays out the sysex commands for the Virus C, and most of those carry over without modification to the TI.

Some of the controls are also available via CC or Poly Pressure; the option to make the controls respond to CC / Poly Pressure is in the config menus.

I have never seen a complete documentation of the TI's sysex commands.

I ran into a few parameters that I found to be unresponsive to sysex commands. I can't remember offhand whether I was trying to use sysex strings as documented for the Virus C, or whether I examined some kind of dump or sysex transmission from the TI to guess what the commands ought to be. Anyway, I speculate that there are parameters in the TI that are only controllable through the Virus Control or through the panel.

Or maybe I'm confused, haha.

The good news is that most all the common controls are very straightforward.

-Luddy
Old 04.05.2009, 11:42 PM
New here

So what do people think, is the keyboard version worth the extra 800 dollars over the desktop?
Old 05.05.2009, 08:38 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

That depends on tour use. If your using in a studio envirement or using multiple synths the desktop is the way to go. If its going to be your main synth and controller the keyboard/polar is the way to go. The desktops control panel is identicle to both the keyboard and polar though. If you use the vc plugin then you will probablly end up programing sounds with a mouse anyway.
Old 05.05.2009, 08:38 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

That depends on your use. If your using in a studio envirement or using multiple synths the desktop is the way to go. If its going to be your main synth and controller the keyboard/polar is the way to go. The desktops control panel is identicle to both the keyboard and polar though. If you use the vc plugin then you will probablly end up programing sounds with a mouse anyway.