Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 28.01.2006, 02:06 PM

Default Pendulum Basslines?

I read that Pedulum use Access Virus Powercore

I was wondering if anyone on here can point me in the right direction as to programing those big basslines with my Virus?

any tips or useful tutorials that you guys can share please?
Old 28.01.2006, 04:21 PM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

Dnb basslines are based on layered sounds.
so i imagine he uses few layers,
maybe a sub bass one,
and a big pwm bass to give it the color.

i saw a video where he shows his work habbits and he used mainly software synths and sampled sounds (played by kontakt) but this doesnt mean you can do better with you TI.
just load up a hypersquare thru a 4 pole moog filter and off you go
Old 28.01.2006, 04:32 PM

Im actually using a Virus B, But the powercore virus is the same.

Thats why i was thinking the B can create these sounds.

So far Ive been doing pretty much what you said, layering sub osc, a low sine and PWM via LFO

I can do a 4 pole filter on the virus b... is there anything particular about a moog filter that i cant recreate?
Old 28.01.2006, 05:36 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

no,i just like the color of the ladder filter more thats all

if its powercore you are using
i would sugest layering 3 oscilators,try these two:
ver.1-all 3 oscs set to pwm two are detuned sligtly from each other while the 3rd is 1 octave below. add some unison to that and speard a bit.

a sub bass does not have to be pure sine wave,you can mix sine+square and run it thru a closed filter with no empesis (resonance) to get a subby basic to the upper layer.
Old 28.01.2006, 10:47 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Could some one help me out!!! I have a Pendulum'esq type sound I programed on my Korg MS2000 which I am trying to recreate on my VIRUS B. So that I can use it Live without a whole Keyboard.

Anyways, on the Korg:

OSC 1: PWM
OSC 2: Tri (-12 Semi)
A little LFO to cuttoff, and thats about it...24db LPF cutt off severely with very little RES. There is no Detuning on the Original Patch

I setup the same thing on my Virus and it sounds simular but just lacks the low end rumble the Korg Gets!!! I have a funny felling I am not doing something right in the Filter department, I have tried Ser6 mode and Spliting the filters and tweaking individually, with mixed results.

Here is a clip of the original Korg sound.

http://s5.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3M...7154P5QSBAPZHM

Hope someone might be able to point me in the right direction to achieve that extra rumble!!! I am not 100% sure Im recreating the right SQR PWM settings on the VIrus either, I've tried almost every knob position for OSC 1 but it just doesn't cut it
Old 29.01.2006, 01:14 AM
New here
New here

Send a message via MSN to rhys

hi all. new guy here.anyways...... pendulum do use a power core but they also use a softsynth called z3ta for their bass lines,they screw with the audio alot aswell for example they created this one patch in z3ta that was routed so the lfo rate would increase as you go up the keyboard and then bounced it to audio then time stretched it and then loaded it into a soft sampler.you can see them doing this on the dvd from a past issue of fm mag.
Old 29.01.2006, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_syd
I setup the same thing on my Virus and it sounds simular but just lacks the low end rumble the Korg Gets!!! I have a funny felling I am not doing something right in the Filter departmentt
I think it might be something to do with EQ. Does the Viirus B have EQ, or is it only Virus C???

Maybe you could tweak the boards EQ when playing live...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys
hi all. new guy here.anyways...... pendulum do use a power core but they also use a softsynth called z3ta for their bass lines,they screw with the audio alot aswell
Welcome!

Makes me wanna look into z3ta, thats for sure. Pendulum sound in general is just BAD-ASS!!!

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 29.01.2006, 05:35 AM

You can really hear the layers and post recorded manipulation, whether it be resampling, effects or both in Pendulum's basses. I don't think using the Virus alone will give satisfaction if you're after similar bass sounds.

As far as getting a bass sound on the Virus that would be similar to the MS. You could get close, but still I think the MS has better low down response than the Virus series. Layering the 2 wouldn't be a bad idea though.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 29.01.2006, 10:04 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Ok, I have found out alot about recreating the Korg MS2k with the virus, Firstly it seems that the waveforms are different!!! To be expected I guess!!!.

I found that the halfway between Saw and Square of the Virus was closer to the Sqr PWM on the Korg. Also, when dialing up Pulse Width, the settings on the Korg just dial up alot more grit, I've had some good results fine tweaking with the filters off, then turning them back on to compare, Also, sending LFO to Pulse Width of OSC 1 has yeilded some good results. Still not perfect yet. It just lacks the low end worble, even if I dial up Bass on the Mixer

Can someone comment on the SUB OSC on the Virus, when I dial it in, it seems to ruin the sound. Is this because its cancelling out the sound of the OSC's as the are heavy on Pulse width MOD?
Old 29.01.2006, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the help i will try those things out, that z3ta vst looks good i might have to buy that

Has anyone got it? does it run stable in cubase?