Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 18.12.2008, 09:19 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthfiend View Post
if what you guys say is true I'm going to be V disappointed, one of the main reasons I outlayed all this money for a hardware synth was to avoid bad timing.....
Depends how you use it I suppose. I've come to the conclusion it may never work right - maybe TI 2.
Old 18.12.2008, 07:42 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

That's too bad because my Virus TI is always out of time... I love the sound, I HATE the timing.

Especially when I output my Arp notes.... The notes are 100% all over the place, they never sit in the same place twice.

I still love my Virus.
Old 19.12.2008, 07:20 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monobeat View Post
That's too bad because my Virus TI is always out of time... I love the sound, I HATE the timing.

Especially when I output my Arp notes.... The notes are 100% all over the place, they never sit in the same place twice.

I still love my Virus.
I know exactly how you feel, amazing synth that has issues. With me I don't often use that many parts so I suppose I don't push the VC/Synth integration too much, but the other day I made this Chord Arp, Very simple single modulation of the formant shift on one osc, lfo was set to monophonic. When I played it back in standalone mode sounded great, cycling up and down. In Logic and VC the playback turned the modulation into a random event. Very frustrating. The hope was that sometimes it did work ok, so I'm thinking maybe it's Logic, but I don't know.

I also find if I use the filter env to modulate the filter env decay (ie:recursive modulation) that If I play a couple of notes it sounds really great with a tight attack. If I add another part the attack portion randomly skips it's decay.

In a way it reminds me of my old Roland JV2080. Sounded great on it's own, start sequencing with it, and all sorts of timing delays and envelope problems came to show.

I love my TI to bits, I hope there will be a fix

Mike
Old 19.12.2008, 09:11 PM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

this thread has inspired me to take another stab at virus support. i set up an ableton test project with an 8th note quantized 4-note chord rhythm and ran through each oscillator type while recording to audio.

i ended up sending them the ableton project and the patch in question. here's hoping they'll be able to replicate it and sort it out. if they can, it'll be like having a brand new synth that i could use anywhere in the mix, instead of just for pads/effects/etc as it is now.
Old 02.01.2009, 10:47 AM
Very mucho Newbie

Wink

Wow! this is serious problems, I was going to buy a Snow or Desktop very soon but now I am not so sure about it anymore.

It may be so Access have to little horsepower in the Virus TI??? that is what I think.

Are there any user who use it professional in Studio without sync problems?

SERIOUS!!!!
Old 03.01.2009, 09:08 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivion View Post
Wow! this is serious problems, I was going to buy a Snow or Desktop very soon but now I am not so sure about it anymore.

It may be so Access have to little horsepower in the Virus TI??? that is what I think.

Are there any user who use it professional in Studio without sync problems?

SERIOUS!!!!
Well yes I think it's serious, everytime I mention it I don't really get alot of feedback, either I'm imagining it, or people generally haven't noticed it (I find that hard to believe) or it's an unmentionable wall of silence

I've never meant trouble by posting issues, sometimes I question whether I have, but I can categorically say I have noticed several issues which I perceive to be DSP power related and although I'm no engineer I feel I am correct on this one.

The other thing I've just thought of, when I had my Indigo2 (before I drowned it in wine and got an Insurance payout - for once in my life luck was on my side and I got a TI as a result) I programmed some sounds using the Moog filter in self oscilation. On the Indigo it used to make a great kick. On the TI, it looses the attack for about 5 keypresses and then starts to play back if you play back multiple keys in legato. I know these are probably rare sounds using the filter and envelope like this (including recursive modulation) I always found it disconcerting that the TI had problems playing those sounds exactly. Flame me if you like, but I'm sure there is a technical reason why..

I welcome people's comments!

Last edited by Totty : 03.01.2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04.01.2009, 03:47 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Smile

Is it better when using the TI with just MIDI or is it the same?

How many tracks before it cracks up?

Wery important questions for me, so please I need your opinions.

Anybody whithout quantize problems?
Old 05.01.2009, 12:30 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivion View Post
Is it better when using the TI with just MIDI or is it the same?

How many tracks before it cracks up?

Wery important questions for me, so please I need your opinions.

Anybody whithout quantize problems?
Well I don't use it with midi, never really have to be honest. I can perceive modulation going awry with 3 tracks running. If I recall one had 2xUnison, and the other has the formant modulation I've mentioned. This is on a TI Polar.
Old 05.01.2009, 02:13 PM
Complete Newbie

in my experience, it's the same regardless if i'm using MIDI or the TI plug-in. definitely an issue with the synth's dsp as near as i can tell. realistically i can use 2-3 patches in a multi with reasonable polyphony (12-note max) before things get really out of whack.

however, even using single patches, there is a definite internal timing problem. still in the process of sorting it out with support. they've been unable to recreate the issue on their end and suggested it was due to my set-up, but i've tested it with all of my possible midi interfaces (usb and firewire) with the exact same results.

so i'm thinking it's either to do with a hardware batch being flawed, or they're turning a blind eye. i'm very much hoping it's the former, as long as it's fixable. i just want to be able to reliably use my synth instead of having to mask it in the mix.
Old 05.01.2009, 02:26 PM
Complete Newbie

btw, if anyone is interested, here's the test project i put together in Ableton Live 7 along with the single patch in sysex format:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=e...db6fb9a8902bda

for each test, i simply changed the oscillator type of OSC1. in the recorded audio you'll notice how OSC1 drifts out of time from OSC2 (which is just a simple classic sawtooth).

i'd be very interested to know if any of you experience the same thing with your synths.

cheers,
paul.