Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 16.02.2009, 12:22 PM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

Default Patchcraft | Smoothing

I've been poking around the smoothing parameter, not really explained in the manual. I can hear what the various quantised values do by, for example, using the mod wheel to sweep cutoff on a held note. But I haven't been able yet to hear the different effects of selecting On, Off, Auto and Note. Can anyone enlighten me?

More interestingly, what kind of creative use does anyone put Smoothing to?

Suzzy
Old 16.02.2009, 12:31 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzymackenzie View Post
I've been poking around the smoothing parameter, not really explained in the manual. I can hear what the various quantised values do by, for example, using the mod wheel to sweep cutoff on a held note. But I haven't been able yet to hear the different effects of selecting On, Off, Auto and Note. Can anyone enlighten me?

More interestingly, what kind of creative use does anyone put Smoothing to?

Suzzy
it's all explained on page 129/130 of the english manual.

marc
Old 16.02.2009, 02:48 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Default OS3 Manual

Sorry for the dumb question, but where can I download the manual from
Old 16.02.2009, 03:39 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Send a message via MSN to fornax

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthfiend View Post
Sorry for the dumb question, but where can I download the manual from
I guess you can find the manuals here: http://access-music.de/downloads.php...ikeyboard#cat4

Old 16.02.2009, 03:51 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Smooth Mode, from the manual:

Quote:
A technique called “Adaptive Control Smoothing” (ACS), used on all Viruses since the Virus A, avoids the zipper noise that rapid changes (knob movements, modulation) would otherwise cause.

• Off: Smoothing is disabled. Pros: Value jumps are immediate, with no glitches. Useful for gater-effects etc. when using a sequencer. Cons: Continuous control changes are incremental, meaning you may have to accept some zipper noise.

• On: Smoothing is enabled. Pros: Continuous control changes are smooth, so this setting is generally the better option. Cons: Sometimes too slow for intentional rapid jumps e.g. gater-effects.

• Auto: Control changes are analysed, and smoothing is switched on or off depending upon how fast these changesare. Pros: Smooth and sudden control changes can be applied to the same sound. Cons: Rapidly repeating jumps may be too fast to analyse correctly.

• Note: Smoothing is disabled, any changes are only heard at the start of each played note (not inbetween). Pros: No glitches. Cons: Smooth transitions not possible.

• Quantize 1/64 ... 1/1: Smoothing is disabled, any changes only occur at rhythmic intervals relative to the Tempo, expressed as a 4/4 bar division. See “Tempo” on page 129.
I just really wished that every other synth manufacturer (Korg, Roland, etc.) also employed the same thing! They often sound like toys in comparison.
Old 16.02.2009, 04:28 PM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post

marc
Thanks Marc - I was using the online reference assuming it was just the online version of my paper manual Anyhow, I think I've understood the effects of the parameter settings in the manual. Seems like the feature could have both a 'corrective' purpose and a 'creative' purpose, and I was curious to know whether anyone made deliberate creative use e.g. of quantised control changes.
Old 16.02.2009, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzymackenzie View Post
Seems like the feature could have both a 'corrective' purpose and a 'creative' purpose, and I was curious to know whether anyone made deliberate creative use e.g. of quantised control changes.
Actually even without the smoothing the zipper noise on the virus isn't too aggressive.

On my MC505 though it's more obvious and is great for whacking up the resonance and adding distortion, followed by slowly sweeping the cutoff, for an effect in its own right (impossible to do in the analogue domain).

http://www.infekted.org/virus/files/...5-stepping.mp3

Brings out every nuance of the lofi digital zipper stepping.

Last edited by Timo : 23.08.2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 29.07.2009, 08:35 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post

marc
Geez, the manual explains a lot! I just had to download it as well. I wonder why it's not in the documentation folder, there's only the reference and quickstart
Old 29.07.2009, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Smoothing is mostly great, but one bad thing I've always found with it is that it affects the pitch-bend wheel quite badly, even in Auto mode. Pitch bends are sluggish. Any moderate pitch-bends (imagine playing ATB - 9pm) never reach the pitch they should before the wheel is switched back to neutral. In these cases Off is the only setting that works.
Old 01.05.2011, 04:46 AM
Pro
Pro

Wow..this is awesome...never knew this.....