Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 08.02.2007, 09:41 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Default Nord 3: can someone compare it with the virus line?

Hi All,

How is the Nord 3 if you already own a Virus? From the manual, it seems less complex. Anyone dare to offer a critique of the differences. Just in case I might want to buy one...

CHeers,
B
Old 09.02.2007, 04:12 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Both the Nord Lead and the Virus are fairly similar as far as programmings concerned. They're both subtractive. The TI has better modulation perimeters, and you can modulate just about everything. Not sure about the other Virus', I've only used the TI. Now the Nord has no effects, not as deep perimeters for modulating. And in my opinion sounds flat and uninteresting. Now I don't own a Lead 3 but a 2X. I played around at the local music center, and diddled the Lead 3 and the 2X, and even the G2. I decided on the 2X. It sounds alot more lively and animated. The Lead 3, I didn't care for at all. And now Nord has discontinued the 3, so if you needed to get a new motherboard or something your s.o.l., and I hear it's not all that uncommon for the MB to crap out on you.

I'm very happy with the Rack 2X, if compliments the TI very well. Picked one up on eBay for $570 US. It's extremely easy to program, 4 part multi timberal, and kicks alot of ass. Hope I was of some help.
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed." Einstein
Old 09.02.2007, 04:56 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by iand View Post
Nord has discontinued the 3, so if you needed to get a new motherboard or something your s.o.l., and I hear it's not all that uncommon for the MB to crap out on you.
Where does it say the Nord Lead 3 is discontinued? The clavia web site doesn't mention this at all!

And no effects... Looks like my cash will be paying off the mortgage like it should

Cheers,
B
Old 09.02.2007, 08:37 AM
Pro
Pro

I asked clavia's support about whether the NL3 was discontinued or not and they said it really was but some dealers still have stock. Anyway, I'm gonna buy the nord rack 2x later this spring. I've heard that the NL2 has more pure tone than NL3. I've played both and I also had a modular keyboard but I never could compare them. Anyway, the NL2 2x seems to be a good sounding basic va synth with a powerful tone.
Old 10.02.2007, 10:23 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

That's really odd. The Nord 3 is not backwards compatible with the 2, no effects on board, and if they have discontinued the 3 they have no subtractive synth unless you don't mind a vintage organ and EP board as well (which I do mind - it just seems wrong).

I think I have a clear idea of the differences with the Virus line...

Cheers,
B
Old 10.02.2007, 11:49 PM
Pro
Pro

They still have the nord lead 2x but who knows when they will discontinue that too...
Old 10.02.2007, 11:53 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

It was discontinued because they cant source a certain critical part for it that was unexpectedly discontinued.

Pay attention to Nord announcements later in the year - probably around summer concerning a replacement.
Old 11.02.2007, 07:17 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
if they have discontinued the 3 they have no subtractive synth
Well they still have the 2X, and the G2 modular series is among other things subtractive.

Quote:
It was discontinued because they cant source a certain critical part for it that was unexpectedly discontinued.
your talking about the Lead 3 right?
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed." Einstein
Old 11.02.2007, 12:09 PM
Pro
Pro

IMO the NL3 has been discontinued, NL2X has not been discontinued.
Old 11.02.2007, 08:16 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

A model is discontinued when the manufacturer chooses not to make it anymore. There's no reason (other than cost) why the NL3 be can't reengineered to fit component availability and continue production. We'll have to guess they are close to the release of a completely new model and they consider it not worth the effort.

Lots of guessing on our side, not good. I don't want to buy something which seems to be discontinued, I want the manufacturer to be upfront about their product.

B