Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 16.01.2009, 10:41 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Does it work properly under SX3 and is it delay compensated with the rest of your track?
Old 16.01.2009, 11:08 AM
Infektion taking hold...

as far as i know Cubase does not support sidechaining with instruments, i know of the work arounds for "ducking" with compression and cubase 4 certain bundled VST3 plugins support it, but im not too sure if those methods apply here with the Virus's sidechain feature, Im busy installing 3.0 ill let you know if anything surfaces, i doubt it thou as i think this is a barrier steinberg needs to take down for us im so jelous of you Logic/protools b4$tards right now >
Old 16.01.2009, 11:32 AM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

sigh, one of the most anticipated features in OS3 and doesn't work in the host I use. This is great.
Old 16.01.2009, 12:17 PM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozer View Post
Well OS3 just came out like yesterday and is still in beta. Up till then every feature was still supported (and still is in the current full version). I guess they will have to update that information at some point but to say it's "misleading" is silly since no one is going to have been mislead into investing in anything on the basis of something unfinished that came out yesterday. It's not their fault Cubase is so inflexible (still).
Hi Snoozer. I made it plain I didn't consider this Cubase limitation in any sense Access's 'fault'. And I said the wording was potentially misleading, and not definitively so, because I know there are many of us musos out here who read through compatibility specs pretty quick, are ever eager to get the gear, crack open the shrink wrap and get going, and someone who's so keen may well not notice the fact that a product is an early release, etc etc. I certainly didn't intend this as any criticism of Access, since even my very short acquaintance with the firm so far has convinced me that they are an unusually customer-oriented enterprise; rather, I intended it as a helpful heads-up that might just help to obviate future problems.

Suzzy

Last edited by suzzymackenzie : 16.01.2009 at 12:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 16.01.2009, 01:23 PM
Infektion taking hold...

what if Access made a VST3 version of virus control? or what if Steinberg added sidechain support? problems would be solved
Old 16.01.2009, 02:48 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzymackenzie View Post
Hi Marc, I appreciate that, but some of the wording in your documentation is still potentially misleading, for example when on your website you say:

Elsewhere in your recent documentation (forget where exactly, I'm too busy trying to get OS3 working properly ) I am sure I have just read 'Access recommends Cubase 4...'.

So perhaps you could think about some more careful wording of statements in documentation to avoid the situation where someone invests in apparently recommended software only to find that a much-asked-for feature (sidechaining) of their lovely new Virus doesn't work...?

Suzzy
[/size]
in a way you're right. but since not everybody will use side chaining i think it would be questionable to declare cubase 4 to be incompatible. here's a list of host based limitations we found in regards of side chaining:

- cubase 4 doesn't support it for instruments (not a part of VST2.4)
- cubase 4.5 / 5 does support it but the VST3 implementation is buggy and other aspects of VC stop working unless steinberg fixes somethings (which they hopefully will)
- logic works but the input is not delay compensated

on the other hand:

- live seems totally fine, even with VST 2.4

best, marc
Old 16.01.2009, 03:29 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
here's a list of host based limitations we found in regards of side chaining:

- cubase 4 doesn't support it for instruments (not a part of VST2.4)
- cubase 4.5 / 5 does support it but the VST3 implementation is buggy and other aspects of VC stop working unless steinberg fixes somethings (which they hopefully will)
- logic works but the input is not delay compensated

on the other hand:

- live seems totally fine, even with VST 2.4

best, marc
Thank you again Marc, having such personal attention from Access is why I'll always use Access synths.

That's a dealbreaker for me with Cubase then, time to finally start listening to my friends that all make fun of me and get Ableton.
Old 16.01.2009, 04:09 PM
New here
New here

I got it to work in Cubase 4.5.2! I'll post an update with screen caps to the inital post but I figured it out; it's very similar to the fix that got sidechaining working in SX3 with "group channels".
Old 16.01.2009, 04:12 PM
Infektion taking hold...

oh please do share
Old 16.01.2009, 04:24 PM
New here
New here

OK, this is what I did. I'm going to try a few different methods but a brainstorm got this working for me, so don't tell me I'm making something simple complicated because I just got this working haha:

#1. I created a "group channel track" (project>add track>group channel)
#2. in configuration, make that a "quadro" group (this is the old method of creating a sidechain in cubase sx3)
#3. in that group channel track, click on the little "e" and in "inserts" add Virus TI /// (the VST3 effect version I guess)
------this will make the TI load up, but in mine I always got a blank plug graphic and didn't know what to do
#4. make sure you enable the sidechain button
#5. on the TI unit itself, navigate to the patch eROM-A 125 >>INPUT<<
#6. now hit F3 to go to the mixer. with whatever audio tracks you want to run through the TI, change "Stereo Out" to "Sidechains - Group 1: Ins 1 - Virus TI"
#7. HOORAY, play with the TI's effects to your heart's delight!!!!! (remember to use the TI itself to screw around with effects)

Last edited by digitalgeist242 : 16.01.2009 at 04:37 PM. Reason: clarification