Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 16.01.2009, 02:25 AM
New here
New here

Default Cubase 4.5.2 (OSX) and TIOS3 "Sidechaining" the Input WORKS!

Let's get this out of the way - I'm using Cubase 4.5.2 on an Intel Mac Pro (OSX 10.5.6, 8gb RAM), a TI Desktop with TIOS 3.0. So how do I go about routing the audio of my track through the TI to use the Virus as an effect?

The TI manual says:
1. In Virus Control, click on the Patch/Utility tab
2. Click in Input/Output Configuration and change USB AUDIO MODE to 3 Outs / 1 Input
3. Go to the Browser tab and in the Search field type "Input" The rest of this depends on your DAW of choice and this is where I stalled in Cubase.

I noticed there are two VST listings for the Virus TI in Cubase when selecting an instrument or effect now, and the first option is the only that will bring up something that has a sidechain option. I've tried a few things but I can't get sound out or route it. I need help.

EDIT: Here is how I got this to work:
OK, this is what I did. I'm going to try a few different methods but a brainstorm got this working for me, so don't tell me I'm making something simple complicated because I just got this working haha:

#1. I created a "group channel track" (project>add track>group channel)

#2. in configuration, make that a "quadro" group (this is the old method of creating a sidechain in cubase sx3)

#3. in that group channel track, click on the little "e" and in "inserts" add Virus TI /// (the VST3 effect version I guess)
------this will make the TI load up, but in mine I always got a blank plug graphic and didn't know what to do

#4. make sure you enable the sidechain button

#5. on the TI unit itself, navigate to the patch eROM-A 125 >>INPUT<<
#6. now hit F3 to go to the mixer. with whatever audio tracks you want to run through the TI, change "Stereo Out" to "Sidechains - Group 1: Ins 1 - Virus TI"

#7. HOORAY, play with the TI's effects to your heart's delight!!!!! (remember to use the TI itself to screw around with effects)

I make absolutely no guarantees this will work on any system but mine.

Last edited by digitalgeist242 : 17.01.2009 at 12:23 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 16.01.2009, 05:42 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalgeist242 View Post
I guess I'm just lost. Let's make this thread informative because I've got somewhat of a grasp on what I'm doing but I can't get it working - no sound out at all and there's something key I know I'm missing.

Let's get this out of the way - I'm using Cubase 4.5.2 on an Intel Mac Pro (OSX 10.5.6, 8gb RAM), a TI Desktop with TIOS 3.0. So how do I go about routing the audio of my track through the TI to use the Virus as an effect?

The TI manual says:
1. In Virus Control, click on the Patch/Utility tab
2. Click in Input/Output Configuration and change USB AUDIO MODE to 3 Outs / 1 Input
3. Go to the Browser tab and in the Search field type "Input" The rest of this depends on your DAW of choice and this is where I stalled in Cubase.

I noticed there are two VST listings for the Virus TI in Cubase when selecting an instrument or effect now, and the first option is the only that will bring up something that has a sidechain option. I've tried a few things but I can't get sound out or route it. I need help.

I noticed that the VST with the option to sidechain also appears as an audio out option on a selected audio track, but this is getting a little complex.
Long live beta testing!
If anybody can shed a little light on this I'd appreciate it. I'm going to try and post screencaps to make things a little clearer here...
cubase 4 doesn't support side chaining of instruments. there is nothing we can do about that.

best, marc
Old 16.01.2009, 06:08 AM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
cubase 4 doesn't support side chaining of instruments. there is nothing we can do about that.
best, marc
Hi Marc, I appreciate that, but some of the wording in your documentation is still potentially misleading, for example when on your website you say:

Compatible sequencer versions
Please note that other versions/products might work as well but eventually do not support all functionality. We strongly recommend only using certified products.
Macintosh Apple Logic 7.2.3 or higher Steinberg Cubase SX/SL 3.1 or higher Pro Tools 7.3 M-Powered, LE or TDM or higher Ableton Live 5.2.2 or higher
Windows
Steinberg Cubase SX/SL 3.1 or higher Pro Tools 7.3 M-Powered, LE or TDM or higher Cakewalk Sonar Producer 7 Ableton Live 5.2.2 or higher Image Line FL Studio 5 or higher

... this implies that 'do not support all functionality' could be the case with Cubase versions 'other' than 'SX/SL 3.1 or higher' - in other words with Cubase 4 one should expect all functionality.

Elsewhere in your recent documentation (forget where exactly, I'm too busy trying to get OS3 working properly ) I am sure I have just read 'Access recommends Cubase 4...'.

So perhaps you could think about some more careful wording of statements in documentation to avoid the situation where someone invests in apparently recommended software only to find that a much-asked-for feature (sidechaining) of their lovely new Virus doesn't work...?

Suzzy
Old 16.01.2009, 08:13 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Sidechaining doesnt work in Cubase 4!? that sucks so much!!!!!! this is the only feature i wanted from access. Is there no way or work around? there must be?
Old 16.01.2009, 08:24 AM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

The workaround would be to wrap the Access control in a subhost plugin that does support audio inputs for instruments. For example Energy XT, Plogue Bidule, NI Kore 2 (OK that last one is expensive but worth it)
Old 16.01.2009, 08:28 AM
Infektion taking hold...

could Access/Virus users not request this in a update of cubase 4? I reckon if we all requested it they would/could consider it?
Old 16.01.2009, 08:28 AM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzymackenzie View Post
Hi Marc, I appreciate that, but some of the wording in your documentation is still potentially misleading, for example when on your website you say:

Compatible sequencer versions
Please note that other versions/products might work as well but eventually do not support all functionality. We strongly recommend only using certified products.
Macintosh Apple Logic 7.2.3 or higher Steinberg Cubase SX/SL 3.1 or higher Pro Tools 7.3 M-Powered, LE or TDM or higher Ableton Live 5.2.2 or higher
Windows
Steinberg Cubase SX/SL 3.1 or higher Pro Tools 7.3 M-Powered, LE or TDM or higher Cakewalk Sonar Producer 7 Ableton Live 5.2.2 or higher Image Line FL Studio 5 or higher

... this implies that 'do not support all functionality' could be the case with Cubase versions 'other' than 'SX/SL 3.1 or higher' - in other words with Cubase 4 one should expect all functionality.

Elsewhere in your recent documentation (forget where exactly, I'm too busy trying to get OS3 working properly ) I am sure I have just read 'Access recommends Cubase 4...'.

So perhaps you could think about some more careful wording of statements in documentation to avoid the situation where someone invests in apparently recommended software only to find that a much-asked-for feature (sidechaining) of their lovely new Virus doesn't work...?

Suzzy
Well OS3 just came out like yesterday and is still in beta. Up till then every feature was still supported (and still is in the current full version). I guess they will have to update that information at some point but to say it's "misleading" is silly since no one is going to have been mislead into investing in anything on the basis of something unfinished that came out yesterday. It's not their fault Cubase is so inflexible (still).
Old 16.01.2009, 09:55 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Ok so if you check Steinberg's site they have released the all new Cubase 5, does anyone know if the sidechain input feature will be compatible with this version 5?
Old 16.01.2009, 10:22 AM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

wait what ... ?

Cubase doesn't support side chaining , even though I've used side chaining in cubase for the last god knows how many months?

If it doesn't support instrument sidechaining , can't you just use the Virus USB input as an output for your audio track and route it that way ?

sorry , no audio pc to test theories on at mo..

click me for main download page
Old 16.01.2009, 10:30 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Im not too clued up with this side of things although it been the most anticipated feature for me, I would love to know if anyone gets this working on cubase 4 or knows if it will work on 5 please post your suggestions/solutions