Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 08.02.2009, 04:48 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Default Make VC part channel look like it is in the Snow?

Hi guys. Originally I was going to ask how the individual in this youtube video got his VC to look as it did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59Pz4kN69Dw

I then realized, with only 4 parts showing, he must be using a Snow. I am wondering now. Since most of us don't, or even can't use all 16 parts of VC due to DSP limitations, why have it list 16 seperate channels having them so squished in view by default? Would it be possible in a future update to perhaps have the left panel blank, and the user can say, right click and choose how many channels he/she wishes to add to VC? Kind of like right clicking on a blank project in Cubase to add a track only when desireable? I would love to have a blank slate and just add say 3, 4 or however many parts the user wishes with each part being larger in size due to no longer having to display all 16 by default. In the video above I am loving the much larger size per channel, having a pan slider instead of a knob, and a much bigger activity bar. Anything under x amount of channels will have a pan slider due to size not being an option, and as soon as size does become an issue then it goes back to a knob like it is now. It shouldn't be too hard to implement I would think since clearly the snow already has such a view. Just need to adopt that to the bigger brother line of Ti's.

Thanks for reading.
Old 13.02.2009, 10:03 AM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

I like the sound of that. I think it's a great idea as I very rarely use more than 3 parts simultaneously for the very reasons you mention, but do struggle with the controls due to their size. Yes please Access!

Cheers.
Old 13.02.2009, 11:48 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Thanks for the reply! It is nice to know that someone else sees where I am coming from. I think it is a terrific idea. Seeing the Youtube Video above clearly shows just how much clearer and easier VC is to use if the listed parts are larger. I really like my idea about being able to choose how many parts, cause NO ONE that I have ever talked to uses more than 3-4 parts max. Just a simple right click, add part and voila, it is there. No more having all 16 parts listed when you won't even use 1/4 of them.
Old 13.02.2009, 01:17 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Yep I'm with that one. I challenge anyone to use 16 parts and have no dsp issues (or even 8!). I think the whole synth should be limited to 8 parts. It may even work better then
Old 13.02.2009, 01:41 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Yes, at most 8. I always find myself bouncing before I even get to 3 parts due to polyphony etc so I will never, and have never used 16 parts. I normally bounce with 2 now anyways as some patches are just so gutsy. Plus, from a timing point of view with the arps and stuff, once your happy and it's bounced it's not an issue when starting off half way through a bar etc. Anyone from Access listening? I would like to see this in 3.0.1 please!

Yours sincerely,

Virus TI lover.
Old 13.02.2009, 04:06 PM
aTISHooo!
I am starting to like this forum

What you're talking about is purely cosmetic, and cosidering VC has just had a major facelift all for the better IMO, it's not necessary.

A dynamic part list might be desirable, but it's far down my wish list after things that actually affect the sound.

You can limit the synth to whatever number of voices you want already, no problems there.

I regularly use sounds with more than 4 parts. The 16 channels are just that, 16 MIDI channels. Why would you want to reduce the flexibility of the synth?
Old 13.02.2009, 04:09 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

We are not saying it has to have its flexibility reduced, we are simply asking for a way to manually assign how many parts/channels are visible at one given time without being dictated on it being 16 and nothing but. By having less parts/channels the view of each channel gets bigger and easier to work with. I would love to use a slider instead of a knob for panning and though it may be cosmetic, how things look play a big role in how a user enjoys using the product.
Old 13.02.2009, 06:08 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totty View Post
Yep I'm with that one. I challenge anyone to use 16 parts and have no dsp issues (or even 8!). I think the whole synth should be limited to 8 parts. It may even work better then
you can do this already: just use 8 parts! - when midi was designed and a maximum of 16 channels was defined, nobody said that just because there are 16 channels you also can use 16 at the same time. it all depends on which sounds you choose and how heavy they are.

marc
Old 13.02.2009, 06:26 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
you can do this already: just use 8 parts! - when midi was designed and a maximum of 16 channels was defined, nobody said that just because there are 16 channels you also can use 16 at the same time. it all depends on which sounds you choose and how heavy they are.

marc
Hi Marc, I know that.

But when the first Multitimbral synths were around I don't think they had quite the dynamic resources that we now appreciate. What I was getting at is that is that if the TI was limited to 8 parts, would it help it's resource allocation. I don't know that and I may be wrong, so please correct me if I am mistaken

Regards
Old 13.02.2009, 06:55 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post

marc

So Marc, now that you have officially seen and replied in this thread, what do you personally feel about the option to allow users to insert parts only as needed, keeping the channel list clutter free, yet bigger in size for parts/channels that are in use? Even if not permanently made this way, what are the chances of this being implemented as a manually changeable user option in a future release?

Just hoping that it would be official considered, if nothing else.

Thanks for reading and replying.