Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 08.11.2009, 06:17 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Default dubstep or how to create deep tones

Hello guys,

I do like some sort of the called 'dubstep' genre, and want to create some of such deep (bass) tones with my virus. I played arround and did not managed to do so. But I am not an expert of the virus. Maybe that sounds are not directly produced by a synth, but postprocessed anyhow (compression,...). But the topic now interrests me more.

I started just with basics. What I have found out is, that with the virus (or maybe with other synth) I can not produce a deep tone of a sinus wave. If playing tones deeper and deeper (decreasing the pitch) there is a certain point where the tone isn't a sinus anymore. All you can here is just a 'ticktack'. A sinus wave is smooth. If you decreasing the pitch you will probably come to the point where you can not hear it anymore, because your ear can't here it anymore, or your speaker can't play it. But it will be smooth till the end. (Imagine the membran of your speaker goes slowly in and out.)

So what I can imagine is that this is a limitation of the implementation of the synth. I assume that the dsp (or whatever) has a limited buffer. And since a low pitch means a longer wave period, there is a time when the whole sinus wave does not fit into the buffer: The sinus wave will be cut. After the buffer is played the dsp starts again at the beginning of the buffer. This will lead to an anormal edge in terms of a normal sinus wave, and is heard as 'ticktack'.

Is there anyone out there who knows what I am trying to explain? Or do I have to set same parameters correctly in order to play e.g. a smooth sinus tone of a frequency of 10-20 Hz?

Additionally:
I am not able to produce a 'clear' sinus tone. I selected sinus wave for osc1, and turned osc1/2 balance totally left (assuming to have no input from osc2). Of course I have no osc3, no subosc, no lfo, no matrix, no fx. BUT I still hear a kind of 'flanging'. Is this normal?

So thats for now, hoping you are not bored to death. Thanks.
Old 10.11.2009, 06:06 PM
Infektion taking hold...

I found out that I was a little to optimistic. A frequence at 10-20 Hz is really or hardly audible. I found an interresting demo at youtube going down from 10000 to 10 Hz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igGro...eature=related

So the tones I would like to produce with the virus are about between 50-100 Hz. Did someone of you have ever played with deep tones?
Regarding the youtube video, thats exactly the tones I would expect if using sinus wave form. But at low frequencies the virus tone is not smooth like that.

@TIMO
I know you are very deep into the virus. Do you have an idea if I do something wrong or there is a certain technical limit producing deep tones with the virus?
Old 11.11.2009, 08:44 AM
New here
New here

Can you post a link to a small sample of the sound you want to recreate with virus?
Old 11.11.2009, 11:33 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Check out the deadlysub patch, it shakes everything in my room and it also shows that the virus is capable of truley deep sub tones.
Old 11.11.2009, 12:51 PM
Pro
Pro

That's definitely my go to patch - with some quick lfo tweaking you can get some deep dupstep triplet sounds running off that in next to no time.

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 11.11.2009, 02:33 PM
Am starting to like this forum

Oftenly overlooked, but really powerful a technique, is to write dubstep songs with deepness and fatness in mind in F or F#. The song written in this tone
sits really well in clubs and the chords and fundamentals are just really solid in most playbacks.

Its a tried and tested idea that many drum and bass producers attest to as well, since dnb also uses similar tones to dubstep in many ways.
Old 11.11.2009, 06:34 PM
Infektion taking hold...

@henry_kay
Assume just to produce a sinus wave with arround 70 Hz (as being heard at the youtube video).

@feedingear
Yes, I know that it is possible to use a lfo to layer a deep swinging over an normal tone. But the result is different, and I like the pure sound of a deep sinus.

Has anyone tried the youtube video? The better equipment (speaker) you have the greater is it. But also with my small speaker you will notive that pure wave.

Please note that I am asking not because I want to complain about the virus. Definitely not. The youtube sound might not be produced by a synth, but by a (analog) signal generator.
I just want to know if you guys get the same results with your virus. I have a virus snow but I dont think that makes a difference here.
Take 5 minutes and try to produce a pure sinus in the deep area. What do you get? If possible link your best results.
Old 12.11.2009, 05:52 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Try sine wave on wavetable oscillator. It should be antialiased.
Old 14.11.2009, 06:07 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Didn't know what I have done wrong all the time (did I configure one part and listened to another?) , but now I got a pure deep sinus:

www.fen-net.de/~na468/music/DeepToneProject.wav
(please use low volume first, don't want someones speaker damaged)

There is a click at the begin of each tone. Can this be avoided somehow?

@FFoxX
What do you mean with 'antialiased'? Which parameter are related, because I did not found one called like this?

Last edited by NoLie6 : 14.11.2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 15.11.2009, 01:30 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLie6 View Post
Didn't know what I have done wrong all the time (did I configure one part and listened to another?) , but now I got a pure deep sinus:

www.fen-net.de/~na468/music/DeepToneProject.wav
(please use low volume first, don't want someones speaker damaged)

There is a click at the begin of each tone. Can this be avoided somehow?

@FFoxX
What do you mean with 'antialiased'? Which parameter are related, because I did not found one called like this?
To get rid of the click, try and lower the Intensity/Punch knob found on the bottom center of the OSC page. If that doesn't help raise the attack of the AMP ENV a bit to soften the beginning stage of the sound.