Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02.09.2013, 12:49 AM
Pro
Pro

I will say that the 10 foot USB cable Focusrite *highly recommended* is specifically: "USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Cable, in which the Hi-Speed STANDARD data rate is up to 480Mbps, as opposed to the USB 1.1, which is 40 times slower in ability to handle data, let alone share much bandwidth with other audio/midi pro gear. Maximum length for audio/midi transmission/receipt on multi-channel set-ups should never exceed 15', with our recommendation of using no longer than 10' or 3m..."----That was copied from my Focusrite Support and thought it still germane to post this. I even still have the Belkin packaging in case need to get another high quality A to B cable and it defines Hi Speed USB 2.0 exactly as Focusrite specified and of course, Timo so rightly did above.

It IS confusing because I actually had no idea there even was a specification divide between two different USB 1's, let alone there even existing two types of USB 1 and cannot ever recall even in military applications let alone real world uses in my life of ever having used USB 1.

Kind of throws a wrench into the whole "Universal Serial Bus" thing, right!!
Not ever owning a Ti, my hypothesis is perhaps many problems people *may have* been having is trying to run too many other USB devices along with the Ti connection because even Sweetwater Sound Support had mentioned that on a USB bandwidth hungry device, even a wireless keyboard and mouse *can* at times cause a wacky connection because even if not using the wireless mouse and keyboard, the USB wireless dongle is ALWAYS seeking a connection, even if by a set times interval, and hence I decided to not push my chances and obtained a wired mouse/keyboard instead.

@MTBC: You mentioned having a dedicated Bus being a great idea and what I know about the dedicated DAW PC tower I had built and again, from Focusrite Support (really like those bloke), they mentioned that even though the Scarlett 18i20 is USB 2.0, since I have a few USB 3.0 ports that know for fact are totally on their own Bus, just as my eSATA port is for external 3rd back-up drive is on, they stated that since USB 3.0 is backward compatible and a recent update to Scarlett Mix Control fully allows this, could easily run my interface on the isolated USB 3.0 Bus if my set-up changed and the need arose to have other USB 2.0 devices, as to not interfere with either midi transmission/receipt, and of course audio.

Like anything with consumerism and marketing, the devil is in the details!
Have learned a lot from some good souls on here!