Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Old 13.07.2014, 06:41 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to mitchiemasha

Yeah, well both really. The first to use the style, riff type (i'm pretty sure they were first to use it in that note formation) and the first to use the sound, preset. Quite an interesting topic to discover the roots.
Old 13.07.2014, 06:55 PM
This forum member lives here

The style of playing the synth bass like that goes back to a lot of early 70's dance (something like Gimme Gimme Gimme from Abba was the first one that came to my mind). Maybe someone else can think of an earlier reference?

The lately bass patch was used in a lot of tracks. I had this on my TX81Z rack module back in the day. I've got a sample of it somewhere. I think it was a carry over from the DX7? After some brief searching it looks like consensus might be that Blue Monday used a Moog Source for the sound, maybe sampled.
Old 13.07.2014, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
Insomnia... Did they do that first? I remember they tried to sue others who copied them but failed as the sound was a generic Yamaha preset.
Yeah, Faithless (Salva Mea [1995] and Insomnia [1996]) vs. Sash (Encore une Fois [1996]). Sash used it a year later than Faithless. Pizzicato placed aside, the melodies are similar in some ways. Along with the pizzi, I think this may have been Faithless' beef. Of course it was a ridiculous argument.

The actual sound is from the Roland JD800/990, a sound called Pizza Hutt. The later JV-1080 and MC505 also had similar waveforms, again both from Roland.

Energy52 used it in Cafe del Mar, as did DJ Quicksilver in Bellisima and Natural Born Grooves in Groovebird. Thousands of other cheesy tunes ended up flogging it. All ~1995-1997.
Old 14.07.2014, 09:59 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to mitchiemasha

I still got my 1080. Not that i switch it on much.
Old 20.07.2014, 08:02 PM

The moment I heard James Garner died, that lead from the the Rockford Files Theme Song popped into my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d41cAOmcuxk
Old 21.07.2014, 03:51 PM
Pro
Pro

This has just reminded me of an old college friend who I haven't seen in and by coincidence was only reflecting on recently and meant to YouTube. So the peeerect opportunity (slightly OP so apologies but seems appropriate).

..and yes he's a Blackburn Rovers Fan!!!

My noodles, nothing spicy...
https://soundcloud.com/mystafx

Last edited by Timo : 30.09.2016 at 12:50 AM.
Old 21.04.2015, 01:53 AM

I heard this one the other day, and I'm surprised it hasn't been posted yet. Those with a keen synth ear will notice there is more than one version of this out there, the original 1983 version and the 1989 version. The original had a slow attack on the synth lead, which to me is one of the features that memorializes the riff. Perhaps not enough people had access to the 1983 version because it made a resurgence with the 1989 version (which was actually a lot more popular). The '89 version of the song has noticeably more prominent attack on the intro lead, with what sounds like a bit of distortion on the open of the envelope. I haven't researched the actual synths each were made with or the rationale behind the change -- but maybe it would be an interesting discussion for this thread. Intuitively and from an un-researched standpoint, it seems to me the punch on the intro lead was designed to add a percussive feel to the lead, making people want to "move to it" more (i.e. a club mix). It could be that the latter version was made with a different synth (definitely sounds more digital to me).

The original (slow attack) version of the song is the one I remember best and consider iconic, though I think younger ears that heard them out of chronological order might prefer the newer, more digital (IMHO) sounding version.

The 1983 version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28Minfq_L2k

The 1989 version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCHE0Tjw6MA
Old 28.02.2016, 04:26 AM

Has it really been almost a year since an addition to this thread? Okay, here goes.

You probably have to be at least 40, and to have had your share of random naughty encounters in the clubs of south Florida in the 80s to even remember this tune. It could probably use some re-mastering, at least based on this video to have the same effect it used to have, but that sparsely processed stabby synth lead is iconic, just because of the rawness and specific EQing, and the way it used to cut through the mix in the clubs back then really gave it a signature feel. Sound system setups, and even reference monitor specs were different back then (which is one reason some older tracks don't seem to have the same punch on modern iphones etc).

Looking back I don't even think I heard it played outside of the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area. I'm not even sure why that would be. Regional sound preferences maybe -- we didn't have the Interwebs to push things quite as far and wide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtiteyzoFAM

It was typical of the day in that it sounded digital as hell. Roland D50s and Yamaha DX7s were all over the place.
Old 29.02.2016, 10:03 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Looking back I don't even think I heard it played outside of the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area. I'm not even sure why that would be. Regional sound preferences maybe -- we didn't have the Interwebs to push things quite as far and wide.

Or could be the production on this is godawful & the song is pretty weak
Old 01.03.2016, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post

Or could be the production on this is godawful & the song is pretty weak
That would be an indication that weak music was only played in south Florida? lol

Yeah it's not a great song but the thread is not about great songs, its about iconic ones. "Freestyle" was kind of a niche genre that originated in the Miami area, and that track was one of the defining ones, so that particular synth stab will be iconic to the folks who remember it, maybe not so much to those that don't (understandable).

As I covered with reasonable thoroughness in the earlier message, it sounds like absolute hell when crunched down into a youtube clusterfuck or played over an ipod, because tracks back then were mastered to reference toward club sound systems of the era. So they sounded very different than what you hear today. The same is true with a lot of older tunes -- don't judge their production value of the era they targeted with how they sound over the gear of today. The shyte produced today is going to sound like turd a couple of decades into the future anyway.