Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 12.10.2009, 03:58 PM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Default Confused about S/PDIF

Helo,

i am confused about S/PDIF.... what connection out from virus has to be to my M-Audio Audiophile 2496 S/PDIF connection?

does it fit just simple RCA (Red & White/Black) to S/PDIF ?

this question might sound dumb, but i really do not understand well from articles about S/PDIF i red
Old 13.10.2009, 07:38 PM
Pro
Pro

Spdif is a digital interface that carries a stereo signal from one spdif to another (for the sake of keeping things simple).

The audio signal is digital and not analogue so you need a spdif cable, not usual rca audio jacks.

Because it is digital the two connected units must be set at the same bit rate ie 44khz. Any variances will result in the audio single sounding slowed down.

One unit is generally set as the master (your soundcard probably) and other as a slave.

My noodles, nothing spicy...
https://soundcloud.com/mystafx
Old 13.10.2009, 10:00 PM
New here
New here

from my digital electronics courses I can tell that if your cable is able to sustain the data bandwidth, which depends on the quality and length of your cable, you shouldnt have any problem. You cannot "distort" or noise up a digital signal like an analog signal would. As long as data is transmitted correctly from one device to another there shouldnt be any problem.

For a 3' run between your virus and your soundcard I'm pretty sure any cable will do. I used to plug CDJ1000 digital out to DJM800 digital in without any problems using standard HOSA orange/gray cheap RCA cables.
Old 14.10.2009, 06:38 AM
Infektion taking hold...

from my experience I got clicks with standart rca cable, but it was quite long 2 or 3 meters, now I have custom 1m rca and have no problems.
Old 14.10.2009, 05:35 PM
New here

thanks but it does not answer my question

ok i will write my question just in different way to understand simplier, can i connect RCA comming out from virus Left and Right: Red to INPUT of SPDIF and white to the OUTPUT of SPDIF?

i red that people do connect theyr synthesizers via SPDIF and RCA but this is the question is my confusion because than you cannot connect 2 connectors (Red and white) in to one...
Old 15.10.2009, 05:58 AM
Infektion taking hold...

with digital signal both L&R channels are sent through a single cable/single wire so there is no need for red and white. Virus has one digital in and one digital out.
Old 15.10.2009, 03:29 PM
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvti View Post
with digital signal both L&R channels are sent through a single cable/single wire so there is no need for red and white. Virus has one digital in and one digital out.
thanks,

so simple RCA 1 (red or white/black with) is enough ?