Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 11.11.2007, 04:04 AM
This forum member lives here

Default Cubase 4, Fireface 800 and a general 32bit/192khz question!

Hi all

I have a couple of questions which im hoping someone here maybe able to help me with.

Firstly, I was under the impression Cubase 4 supports 192khz recording. I load up C4, goto the 'File' tab and click on 'New Project' and I then select the 'default' option. That loads up ok. I then click on the 'Project' tab and then select 'Project Setup'. The options only go up to 96khz? How come? Is it because most VST plugins and softsynths are currently unsupported at 192khz operation and this is purely a compatibility measure?

Let me just quickly explain how my Fireface 800 is configured. The clock mode is set to 'Master' and DDS is set to inactive. Now, as far as I understand.....this puts the FF800 into slave mode to whatever application im using? If I select 32bit, 96khz from within C4....then presumably this is telling my FF800 to operate at this level. However, I would like to use 192Khz....and this doesnt seem to be selectable from within C4. So, in order for me to select 192Khz....I have to go back into my FF800 settings screen, activate DDS, select x4 (freq multiplier) and 48.000 (freq khz). This now equates to 192khz operation. Ok, so I load up C4 again...and this where the fun begins Upon opening up C4 im greeted wit the standard 'Your sample rate has changed' dialog box. This is to be expected I guess.......but when i go into my project setup screen and try to change it from 16bit to 32 bit it says that it is unable to do so because 'Samplerate could not be set. This may be due to the sampleclock being set to external sync'. I am just wondering why its saying this. Before upgrading to 4.1 i did not get these messages and I have not knowingly changed the configuration of my FF800. In order to get 32bit, 192kz operation from within cubase....how do i do it? Should I change my FF800 Clock mode from master to 'Autosync'? Would that help? But then, if there is no option from within C4 to select 192khz....its not going to help is it?

Im a new user of Cubase and C4 is a bit overwhelming for me. Should i just stick to 32bit 96khz recording quality as a good comprimise.....afterall i've got decent quality converters and it would appear to be better supported with most modern vst plugins?

Whats your opinion....

Many thanks...

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 11.11.2007, 10:32 AM
Forum Saviour
Aged Veteran

Hey DS,

The heart of my studio (all sold now ) was Cubase 4 and a FireFace 800.

I think you may get a lot of good answers on this topic on the SoundonSound forums...

Drammy
Old 11.11.2007, 10:34 AM
Forum Saviour
Aged Veteran

Also, out of interest - what spec is your comp?
Old 13.11.2007, 07:12 PM

Its a Carillon custom built audio pc from Turnkey, London.

http://www.carillondirect.com/clnweb...?dispatch=home

http://www.carillondirect.com/clnweb...atch=showCores

The Spec of mine is 2x 2.67Ghz processors, 2 gig Ram, 1x 160gb HD, 1x 250Gb HD.

Its sweet....and runs very quietly....it sits right next to me and I hardly hear it. Its packed full of silencing tricks.

I run Cubase 4.1, Stylus RMX and Waves effects plugins on it.

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 13.11.2007, 08:08 PM
Forum Saviour
Aged Veteran

Nice,

Are you confident this is enough power to run multiple tracks at 192KHz? I have pretty much the same system (although Core 2 Duo and home built) and wouldn't barely trusted it running at 96KHz, let alone 192...

RMX is the Mutt's nuts
Old 14.11.2007, 12:06 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Cubase only supports up to 96. You need Nuendo if you want any higher with Steinberg seqs. TBH tho, if you can hear a difference between 96 and higher then you have hearing pretty much no one else on the planet does. Even more so youll need an exceptionally capable pc (quad core or better) to run even a single vsti at 192 without audio glitches.

Forget 192, manufacture hype. You know the vast majority is still done at 44. You'd be hard pressed to notice a difference from vstis at 44 and 96 in a mix, and thats listening out for it. The average listener (99% of people) couldn't tell the difference and couldn't care

ten

Last edited by ten : 14.11.2007 at 12:08 AM.