Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 24.09.2005, 01:41 PM
This forum member lives here

Default So how are you guys going to transfer sounds to the TI?

are you just doing individual sysex dumps from your current virus and then overwriting user locations on the Ti. Are you doing full banks?
Old 24.09.2005, 03:25 PM

Default Re: So how are you guys going to transfer sounds to the TI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Jones
are you just doing individual sysex dumps from your current virus and then overwriting user locations on the Ti. Are you doing full banks?
The best way is to save them via sounddiver or your sequencer into MIDI Files ("Standard MIDI File Type 0") and put them into the Patches folder on your harddrive.

In the Virus Control you can load patches from the harddrive as well as from the virus, it doesn't care where it is. If you want to transfer patches or rearrange them you use the browser page, where you have two browsing tables allowing you to move/copy patches via drag&drop.

Drag&Drop works between MIDI Files, Virus RAM/ROM Banks (ROM is read only) and the Editbuffers on the left side of the panel, where the mixers are.

Feel referred to the manual, available on the website.

tk
Old 24.09.2005, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk
In the Virus Control you can load patches from the harddrive as well as from the virus, it doesn't care where it is. If you want to transfer patches or rearrange them you use the browser page, where you have two browsing tables allowing you to move/copy patches via drag&drop.
tk
Wow, I didn't even think about that - using my hard drive as the place to store and categorize all of my patches and then drag and dropping them into the virus for use. I'm a bit old school in certain respects, this is going to be nice!
Old 24.09.2005, 04:33 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

hey doc jones,

i am still new to synths.

i can understand tk's method, as i use computer software editors for my ROLAND XV-88 and KORG TRITON for example.

How on earth did the old school do sys-ex dumps.

can anyone else explain what the old method was. was there any software used at all.
Old 24.09.2005, 05:22 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk
tk
Wow, I didn't even think about that - using my hard drive as the place to store and categorize all of my patches and then drag and dropping them into the virus for use. I'm a bit old school in certain respects, this is going to be nice!
you don't need to know anything about those files. you just sort them in Virus Control and the plug-in automatically syncs with the Virus TI. the Virus Control is aimed to hide all the abstract things. it's like a _view_ into the TI and makes sure that every change is reflected "on both sides"

marc
Old 24.09.2005, 06:32 PM

Quote:
You can make as much folders as you want in the patches folder to store your files. You can also mark the patches with the categories.

The way it is implemented in the Virus Control combines the two ways from sounddiver (banks) and the virus powercore (load/save menu).

The patch repository handles different locations and allows you to manage them in the same way. A path "My Patches/Cool Bass Patches" would point to a midi file on the harddrive, a path "Virus TI/RAM A" points to the RAM bank A of the Virus TI. With the browser page you can move or copy patches between these virtual folders as well as loading them into the PART buffers.

Have a look at page 148ff of the current Virus TI Manual.

tk
Old 25.09.2005, 03:44 PM

man I can't wait to get my hands on this. Also, it's great to see that Access employees come here (you too Ben )
Old 25.09.2005, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomonster
hey doc jones,

i am still new to synths.

i can understand tk's method, as i use computer software editors for my ROLAND XV-88 and KORG TRITON for example.

can anyone else explain what the old method was. was there any software used at all.
Hey techno, I didn't even see this post until now. Essentially what I do for all my songs is after I finish tweaking a sound, I do a sysex dump of that newly created sound into my song on a midi track. I name the track Virus Dump (name of sound). Then when I load up the song later, I play the song, starting with the midi dump part and it transfers the midi data back to the virus changing it to the sound that I had created before. I always had trouble with sound diver (my own hardware issues) so I continued doing it the sysex dump way.
Old 25.09.2005, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomonster

Well basically, for old analog monosynths and modulars there would be no back up utility since you had to make a patch from scratch everytime. On the analog poly's (which did have patch memory storage) such as the OB8, Prophet 5 and Jupiter 8....you'd have a cassette jack....which alowed you to dump all the patches onto a cassette tape. You could only dump whole banks.....and conversely only load whole banks in. To the best of my knowledge there was no way to save and load single sounds individually. It was only until the advent of the Prophet 600 and DX7MKi in 1982/1983 respectively that basic midi allowed users more flexibility in saving and loading patches into their synths.

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 25.09.2005, 05:49 PM

Quote:
man I can't wait to get my hands on this. Also, it's great to see that Access employees come here (you too Ben :) )
I hope you will enjoy it.

We are sometimes around, when we have time. But as you know, time is a precious value.. :-)

tk