Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 21.10.2015, 06:23 PM
New here
New here

Hi,

Thanks MBTC, I appreciate all your inputs. I will follow the same path trying different brands and lengths. You mentioned in a previous post that you had luck with USB cables using ferrite cores. Do you have a link to one or two of them that is working for you? I might have a better chance if I know excactly which ones I should search for (brand and lengths). There are many different of them on Newegg or Amazon where you recommended me to search.

Best regards,
Mekemesh
Old 21.10.2015, 07:59 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

I wish I could help with a specific cable brand/model, but all of the USB cables I have had good luck with just ended up in a pile of spare cables that I have from having purchased so many electronics and gadgets over the years. I first became aware of the ferrite core issue some years back when I had a GPS that was very picky about which cable it used to perform map updates over the Internet. I noticed with cheap USB cables, the updates would take forever, from what was presumably error correction and data retries, but with a cable with a ferrite core it worked better -- it would literally make the difference between the entire operation taking hours to succeed versus a couple of minutes.

With the Virus, with a good USB cable I was able to get decent results as long as I was willing to live with a certain amount of latency, but using the analog outs made that problem go away so I haven't really looked back, so I'm not using USB for streaming at on the Virus currently. I mention all of this this because when I say I have good results -- I mean with electronics that (like the Virus) are apparently very sensitive to conditions like noise which would cause a lot of retries or delays or otherwise impact throughput (I'm sure audio streaming falls into this category).

However on Amazon you can see user ratings for products. Usually if you order a product with a high number of rating and also a high number of total customers that rated it, it's hard to go wrong IMHO.