Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 06.11.2005, 11:17 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Quote:
This one could be the end of Access.

Bye Bye Access
are you by any chance suffering from some sort of abandonment Anxiety?!

I actually know of a good shrink for that...

Best,
midi.
Old 06.11.2005, 11:27 AM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
Well I bet Access will be working hard to get a stable OS before that.
You bet. It'll only be a fortnight or so, at most, until the edition goes to press. Then it's expos? time, warts and all.

Am just going to get a much-needed soundcard purchase out of the way (Motu 828mk2 or Traveler. Lol, am using a creative soundblaster at the mo, buaahaha!) then an angle towards a TI may be considered (to replace my Indigo) if the review looks good. I've been spending loads of time on the Indigo recently, and have fallen in love with the sound even more. Not sure how available funds will pan out, though. Hopefully they should have recovered by the time Access design a wavetable editor for the TI Control integration with the synth!
We got the Motu 828 mk2...Were well happy with it
http://www.thegirlnextdoor.de/Virusforum.htm
http://www.myspace.com/thegirlnextdoormusic
Old 06.11.2005, 11:55 AM
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Jones
That's very true. I'm basing that statement on Access's past history with os improvements for their C line (don't know much about the A and B, but guessing it is the same) But you are right, I am speculating and hoping that the os continues to get better as it matures.
Infact, I have no doubt that Access will improve the TI OS. I watched my C get better and better after all.

But.... If I were writing a review in a major publication, I probably wouldn't speculate too much. I would write something along the lines of; Going on past experience, there is a fair chance many, if not all of these problems will be rectified in future OS updates. I doubt any reviewer would put themselves on the line too much though.

I hope for Access's sake, they get a reviewer that has used/owned a previous version, and has had experience with the update policy of Access.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading the review!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 06.11.2005, 12:25 PM
Pro
Pro

I remember reading a SOS review of the new EMU-soundcard (maybe Emulator X Studio or 1820M) and they gave it very good points. However in my opinion these soundcards are buggy and not working very well and people are reporting tons of problems with them. So maybe we will see the TI also getting good points altough it is buggy.
Old 06.11.2005, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Over the years I've spoken with the admin/editors of SOS, and they're very rigorous with regards to reviews. They only review what they have in their hands before going to press, not on future update promises. They always state which version of an OS they're reviewing, so as to produce a benchmark as to the functionality of a product at any one time.
SOS even bug-reports for the manufacturers by liaising with them before going to press to see if manufacturers can explain issues and/or release bug-fixes to address these before the review is published, and then the reviews often reflect this in a last-minute bit of testing and a final paragraph being written before sending it off for publishing.

In fact, SOS don't even ask to review gear. Instead, manufacturers send them gear that they'd like to be reviewed (to draw publicity, almost as an advert) so it's almost entirely up to the manufacturers as to what state they'd like their product to be reviewed, and their own fault if it's buggy at that time.

I think I even remember SOS rejecting doing a review for the Waldorf Q when it was first released because it was so unfinished, until Waldorf refined it further enough that SOS warranted its worth to finally publish a review. I guess a scathing report doesn't bode well for interesting SOS articles any more than as it does for the manufacturer(s) who make them.

The reason why many SOS reviews give a general "thumbs up" is because manufacturers know that SOS wont pull any punches as to exposing the weak points warts and all, and thus they tend to hold on to the products and tweak the code until it's good enough to let SOS go to town on it. For those manufacturers who don't, the [Waldorf Q] and [Hartmann Neuron] reviews are good examples.

The total integration aspect of the Virus is revolutionary, and I can only imagine that SOS will be focussing a lot on that aspect. As potential buyer(s) you and me both will be very interested in knowing the ins and outs of that, and SOS stake on selling honest reviews so fortunately/unfortunately they'll tell it as it is.

However, Access are different to most companies and are reknowned for releasing substantial updates and bug-fixes, given time...

I guess we'll have to suck it and see.
Old 06.11.2005, 05:01 PM
Amateur
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midi_Glider
Quote:
This one could be the end of Access.

Bye Bye Access
are you by any chance suffering from some sort of abandonment Anxiety?!

I actually know of a good shrink for that...

Best,
midi.

Do you own a none working Virus TI like me BTW? I purchased this so I?m not abandonment lol, im just jesting.. doh
Old 06.11.2005, 06:10 PM
Pro
Pro

unfortunately, here where I live, I don't know how to get a copy of the SOS. Do they release the tests on their homepage?
Old 06.11.2005, 06:16 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

i think that they have a digital distrobution as well...
Old 07.11.2005, 12:55 AM
Analog synth DSP lover
Amateur

theres this thing you can do when your virus is broken. take it back and exchange it. I had a virus indigo 2 with burnt flash ROM and that solved the issue.
Old 07.11.2005, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. orange
unfortunately, here where I live, I don't know how to get a copy of the SOS. Do they release the tests on their homepage?
I think subs-only material is locked for 6 or 9 months, I'm not sure. However, there is an "E-sub" electronic subscription type thing you can buy which lasts for 3 months and costs nine quid ($13.50 US). The online e-sub is identical to the paper magazine in every way, apart from being online and being advert-free.