Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 05.02.2008, 12:34 PM
Pro
Pro

Send a message via AIM to logo80 Send a message via MSN to logo80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L View Post
Are you trying to hint that you are interested?
Wait, you're a moderator... if I say no you'll probably ban me so... why not?
Old 05.02.2008, 08:30 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Default Lofty Expectations...?

I didn't mean to interrupt anything between you two, but I was wondering if you'd all be kind enough to give me some feedback here while I've got this thread going.

Assuming all goes well and this mythical TI Polar arrives at my door, I've been thinking about how much it might change things for me. I'm kinda long winded, but I'll try and keep this as short as I can:

I've always tried to juggle financial priorities in a responsible fashion and funds for music gear can come slowly (aka relatively low income). Since I could afford it, I've been a believer in having several synths to choose from at any point for quick and efficient sound design capabilities. It's great to have all the options available, but I'm almost feeling a little bogged down....

Too many sounds to choose from, too many goddamn cables and all the muther****in' dusting I have to do!!!

It really kind of has me thinking back on those good old days when I was 19 and all I had was a Roland XP-50 (with the analog synth and techno expansion boards) and a Boss SP-202. I seemed to be much more productive back then also.....I even use to "DJ" pretty regularly.

Listening to the audio demos and judging by the reputation of the Virus, I'm also inclined to think it's going to blow most of my synths out of the water. Is the Virus that bad-assed and versatile that I'm going to want to use it for damn near everything? It's my first "Super Synth" so to speak.

So here's my current list of synths I own and how I feel about them. Which do you think I should I keep and which should I sell? Which will complement the Virus and which ones would be redundant to keep? Should I just keep them all and focus on one at a time?

1) E-MU XL-7 Command Station. This was the synth I sold my XP-50 to buy. I think it sounds really good for a ROMpler, but I really don't use it much. It has some really awesome sound design specs, but the specs and the sound are better than the interface when it comes to programming. The sequencer is however very cool and easy to use. I just use it mostly now for a sound module because I use Ableton Live for sequencing. The presets make me want to drink Jim Jones Kool-Aid though.

2) Alesis Micron. This still gets some use because I like it's features and portability. I'd feel safe taking this out of the house pretty much anywhere. It sounds great for $400 and does quite a bit. I hate programming sounds with it as much as the XL-7. They both are in desperate need of editors that function on OS X.

3) Dave Smith Instruments Evolver. I can't see myself getting rid of this one. It can get really aggressive and it's excellent for processing stereo audio. Real Curtis filters just sound sweet.

4) Korg POLY-61. This one is in the closet collecting dust. I like the sound, but not the limited interface and the fact it has no MIDI. It also needs cleaned (has some non functioning buttons and keys).

5) Waldorf Micro Q Phoenix & Waldorf Blofeld. The Micro Q is paired up with an MPC-1000 in a Gator Studio-2-Go Rack for playing live shows. I've got them wired up seperate from my DAW for strictly good old fashioned hardware jamming. Alesis Photon X-25 controller sits on top of another Gator 2 space rack bag (Lexicon MX400 and an ASHLY line mixer).

I have the Blofeld on preorder right now because I wanted that Waldorf sound to use with my DAW without unhooking and moving the Micro Q around constantly. Also....all those wavetables from the PPG and Microwave etc.

6) Reaktor, Absynth, Korg Legacy Digital (Wavestation/M1), Waldorf Edition (PPG Wave, Attack, D-Pole) I don't see much problem in keeping these as I don't have to dust them and I use them pretty regularly.

So my quandry is....I love synths, but I don't get as much done when I have too many to distract me....What should I do? Some guidance, suggestions and opinions are all welcome.
Old 05.02.2008, 09:10 PM
This forum member lives here

Actually, you should sell it and just tell your girlfriend that one of the others is the one she won. You've got enough synths to last a lunchtime. Sell it and take her for a nice weekend to err, I dunno where you're from.
Old 06.02.2008, 09:23 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Well that's not a bad idea, and I already offered that option in the beginning. She's the one who refused it! Oddly enough she thinks like a guy (that's one of the big reasons I love her). Also, she's smarter than the average cookie. She can spot the synths I own from 50 yards away probably.

She truly insists that I keep it. She said: "The money comes and goes....like tax returns and anything else we get....gone before you turn around, but you'll LOVE that synthesizer....keep it!!"

How can I argue with that???

Last edited by plaid_emu : 06.02.2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06.02.2008, 09:42 PM
Pro
Pro

Send a message via AIM to logo80 Send a message via MSN to logo80

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
Well that's not a bad idea, and I already offered that option in the beginning. She's the one who refused it! Oddly enough she thinks like a guy (that's one of the big reasons I love her). Also, she's smarter than the average cookie. She can spot the synths I own from 50 yards away probably.

She truly insists that I keep it. She said: "The money comes and goes....like tax returns and anything else we get....gone before you turn around, but you'll LOVE that synthesizer....keep it!!"

How can I argue with that???
keep that synth and sell one of your old ones...
Old 06.02.2008, 09:58 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo80 View Post
keep that synth and sell one of your old ones...
Yeah, that's why I was askin' some opinions, I'm thinking the XL-7, The Micron maybe, and the Poly 61. The Micro Q is just too awesome paired up with the MPC-1000 though. They even look killer in the same rack. The Micro Q is red and black. So is the MPC. Black with red end caps (even the same shade of red). Like they were made for each other!

Of course I won't come to any rash decisions until the Virus is transmitted....
Old 06.02.2008, 10:11 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Send a message via Skype™ to flipside
Quote:
Too many sounds to choose from, too many goddamn cables and all the muther****in' dusting I have to do!!!
Haleluja I know that one..

Quote:
So here's my current list of synths I own and how I feel about them. Which do you think I should I keep and which should I sell? Which will complement the Virus and which ones would be redundant to keep? Should I just keep them all and focus on one at a time?

So my quandry is....I love synths, but I don't get as much done when I have too many to distract me....What should I do? Some guidance, suggestions and opinions are all welcome.
I think only you can decide which ones will complement the virus, because only you are you, and you have your take on make music, choosing sounds, programming sounds, etc.

So my advice if you take it, would be to wait for the virus, live with it for a while (and jeez, listen to your girlfriend - don't sell it. I'm also in a lucky position, my gf helped me out with financing my Indigo 2. She even didn't want me to sell it after I got the TI), it takes a while to get a new piece of gear incorporated into your workflow. And especially something like the Virus. It does for me, atleast. And you don't have to rush away selling synths. If you feel something doesn't get much use, put it away if you have room for it somewhere else (the infamous closet), remove the cables, act like you don't have it. You'll quickly see if you miss it. If not, well then I think it speaks for itself - it can go.

Hope this helps, and it's all IMHO ofcourse

Best,
Alex
Old 07.02.2008, 02:34 AM
Administrator

Alex (Flipside) is right; how can I argue with a man with a name like that?

Let the Ti arrive. Set it up. Use it. Then make some space by disconnecting what you fell you can live without. See if you miss it. Then re-assess.

I'm not one to snuff my nose at cool vintage synths or new monsters like the Ti. They've all got their place in the world. All I know is that I freaking love my KC to bits and bits and tiny bits and I would cry like a freaking baby if I ever lost it. I imagine the Ti is that good or better. Give it a try mate! The other synths ar presumably paid for, right? And this one was free, right?

Test out the Ti, take your girl out for a nice dinner or cook her one at home, and enjoy the moment. There's a time to smell the roses in life, so blow your nose and walk out to the garden. Chin up, mate!

Good luck,

-Alex
ESTP/7w8/Type-A Hostile
Old 07.02.2008, 12:58 PM
Administrator

I actually really think the TI will compliment your other synths. The Waldorf stuff tends to sound more rawer/digital, the XL-7 is a ROMpler, the Micron/Ion is quite polite sounding, and the Evolver desktop is a mono-synth.

All you need is a nice mixer or multi-channel A/D interface and you're away!
Old 07.02.2008, 03:06 PM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

I would keep the MPC, Virus TI and the Blofeld, dump everything else.